4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

IAC Mod?? confused?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 04:12 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default RE: IAC Mod?? confused?!

True, but if the MAF sensor is located BEFORE the IAC inlet, then doesn't it bypass the MAF sensor? Wouldn't the MAF sensor just measure the amount coming from the fenderwall, and not the IAC? Know what I mean? It's just something that confused me.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Wouldn't the MAF sensor just measure the amount coming from the fenderwall, and not the IAC?
[/align][/align]All the air comes in from the fender well, through the MAF and into the plenum either through the throttle body or the IAC...[/align][/align]Look at the plumbing--the IAC supply line comes out of the intake tuner after the MAF--therefore the added air flowing into the plenum when the IAC opens is measured by the MAF--and it is additonal air flowing through the MAF (and being measured) that wouldn't be flowing if the IAC is closed... [/align]
Old 06-10-2007, 08:27 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

damn cliffy you seem to know ur ****. are you a ford mechanic?

but anyways what do you think is better for this mod, the gasket or putting a copper cap in the hose??what do you have done? so it changes the exhaust note too? i love the gargling sound under decel..... maybe ill just do this when i get my tb/plenem
Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: wwmost

but anyways what do you think is better for this mod, the gasket or putting a copper cap in the hose??what do you have done? so it changes the exhaust note too? i love the gargling sound under decel..... maybe ill just do this when i get my tb/plenem
[/align][/align]Mechanical Engineer (MIT '71) with 45 year's experience turning wrenches on a variety of motorcycles, cars, and other machinery...[/align][/align]I have a small machine shop and made a barrel type restrictor to go in the IAC supply hose; it's 0.600: OD x 0.500" long, with a 0.300" (just under 5/16") bore. This is effectively the same as the 1/2" copper pipe cap route. [/align][/align]Originally Imade a plate of 0.032" aluminum that matched the gasket and started with a 1/4" hole that was obviously too small, the engine barely idled and wanted to stall on deceleration, I enlarged to hole once but got tired of pulling the IAC each time I wanted to play and made 3 barrels with different bores--getting them in and out of that short IAC connector hose was a lot easier than removing the IAC--and it does the same thing, just a bit differently...[/align] [/align][/align]Oh, the burble on deceleration is becauseof therestricted the IAC supply line, this causes the mixture to be slightlyrichwhen you chop the throttle--the unburnt remainder of this rich mix hits the hot manifold and causes the burbling, too much would cause a backfire. LT headers would really make this sound bad a$$...[/align]
Old 06-10-2007, 11:16 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

[/align][/align]Mechanical Engineer (MIT '71) with 45 year's experience turning wrenches on a variety of motorcycles, cars, and other machinery...[/align][/align]I have a small machine shop and made a barrel type restrictor to go in the IAC supply hose; it's 0.600: OD x 0.500" long, with a 0.300" (just under 5/16") bore. This is effectively the same as the 1/2" copper pipe cap route. [/align][/align]Originally Imade a plate of 0.032" aluminum that matched the gasket and started with a 1/4" hole that was obviously too small, the engine barely idled and wanted to stall on deceleration, I enlarged to hole once but got tired of pulling the IAC each time I wanted to play and made 3 barrels with different bores--getting them in and out of that short IAC connector hose was a lot easier than removing the IAC--and it does the same thing, just a bit differently...[/align] [/align][/align]Oh, the burble on deceleration is becauseof therestricted the IAC supply line, this causes the mixture to be slightlyrichwhen you chop the throttle--the unburnt remainder of this rich mix hits the hot manifold and causes the burbling, too much would cause a backfire. LT headers would really make this sound bad a$$...[/align]
is the rich mixture bad? will it decrease mpg?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 AM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

is this mod good or bad because i did it to my car today and it sounds sick but if is bad im gonna take it out?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 AM
DeltaV
3rd Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: wwmost

[quote]ORIGINAL: cliffyk

It does!!! HAHAHA!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:53 AM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Yeah I would like to know if that rich mixture can cause decreased gas mileage as well because I will be doing it tomorrow once I pick up some gasket material.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:38 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

The rich mixture does cost some mpg's. I'm down to like 17mpg with my 4.10's. Ire-did the mod, and this time, I used a 3/16 drill bit, but the car went intoa super high idle, like 1100rpm. So I swapped it out for the stock one. Do I need to make the hole bigger or smaller for it to idle correctly and get the dropping rpm's?

Impressive stuff Cliff. I want to be a mechanical engineer as well. Maybe study at Purdue.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:48 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

[/align] [/align]Mechanical Engineer (MIT '71) with 45 year's experience turning wrenches on a variety of motorcycles, cars, and other machinery...[/align] [/align]I have a small machine shop and made a barrel type restrictor to go in the IAC supply hose; it's 0.600: OD x 0.500" long, with a 0.300" (just under 5/16") bore. This is effectively the same as the 1/2" copper pipe cap route. [/align] [/align]Originally I made a plate of 0.032" aluminum that matched the gasket and started with a 1/4" hole that was obviously too small, the engine barely idled and wanted to stall on deceleration, I enlarged to hole once but got tired of pulling the IAC each time I wanted to play and made 3 barrels with different bores--getting them in and out of that short IAC connector hose was a lot easier than removing the IAC--and it does the same thing, just a bit differently...[/align] [/align] [/align]Oh, the burble on deceleration is because of the restricted the IAC supply line, this causes the mixture to be slightly rich when you chop the throttle--the unburnt remainder of this rich mix hits the hot manifold and causes the burbling, too much would cause a backfire. LT headers would really make this sound bad a$$...[/align]
Wanna make me one of those??

Quick Reply: IAC Mod?? confused?!