4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Any advice before clutch install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
P8ntbala
1st Gear Member

Default Any advice before clutch install?

Well I'll finally be able to switch out the pos stock clutch with the king cobra... but I have a couple questions.
Is the KCobra kit I bought from AM supposed to come with an alignment tool, because I did not see one in the pakage, unless its hidden inside one of the plates or something. If its not in there, where can I find a proper alignment tool?
What should we look for to decide whether the flywheel needs re-surfacing, or just do it regardless?
Would this be a good time to change the tranny fluid? Is this complicated?
For the removal and installation we will be referring to the Chilton manual, but if anyone has some personal advice from doing it themselves I would appreciate the help. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:14 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Any advice before clutch install?

1. The kit from American Muscle does NOT (i repeat DOES NOT) come with an alignment tool. We used a universal one and it was a pain in the ***. I suggest getting one from Ford (or maybe autozone or something). The universal one sucked and it was a major PITA to get the trans back in.

2. Yes, its a good time to change the fluid. It is a simple process. Take the fill plug out (to make sure it will come out), take the drain plug out, let it drain, put the plug back in, fill it till it comes out the fill hole, and then put the fill plug back in. You need a small hand pump to get to the fill hole though. Also, the plugs are just a 3/8 racket hole. You dont need a socket.

3. Re surface the flywheel or get a new one.

4. You will probably need to use heat (torch) on the driveshaft bolts. They came with loc-tite on them and were a bitch until we heated them up a bit.

5. The bolts in the exhaust will be rediculously impossible to get out if they are still stock. Impact tools help alot. 10 years of rust owns your ***. Lots of PB blaster owns 10 years of rust. Therfor, PB blaster owns your ***.

6. Get beer before you start.

If you follow these tips, it shouldn't be too bad. If you have any questions, holla at me via PM.

Matt
Old 06-11-2007, 05:46 PM
P8ntbala
1st Gear Member

Damn, I hoped after ordering a clutch 'kit' from them they could at least throw in a peice of plastic.
Oh well thanks for the advice... I've never done any major installs before and my stepdad who's going to help worked in an autobody shop a long ways back, so he forgets some of the little details that probably become a PITA.
I belive we will have impact tools for the install.
Anyone know if there is a writeup somewhere or a tools listing so I can organize/find what we will need beforehand?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:46 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

1. Leave the third starter bolt out. You will know what I mean when you get to it I have been running on only two since I owned the car.

2. Get a case of your beverage of choice before you start. It will make things go much smoother.

3. Label everything with a cheap thing of masking tape and draw it on a piece of paper (bolt diagram, number the bolts and draw yourself a picture).Alot hardermess up if you cover your bases.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:28 PM
P8ntbala
1st Gear Member

1. Leave the third starter bolt out. You will know what I mean when you get to it I have been running on only two since I owned the car.
Any particular reason?.. I havnt heard this before.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Its an absolute B1TCH to get in and out. The car starts just fine without it and has for 10k+ miles. You will learn very quickly when you try to get to it you basically need a 2-3 ft extension and go from the front of the car.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

You can get a 10 spline tool at any auto zone

Resurface the flywheel with any new clutch install. Also check for cracks.

Replace the fluid since you will spill some anyway

Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 PM
StealthGT2V
2nd Gear Member

Inspect the clutch before install......To make sure everything is good to go...Buy a pilot bearing...
Old 06-12-2007, 12:16 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Stealth did you get the issue worked out? You never told me what happened so I was just wondering.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

its not that hard to get the 3rd starter bolt back in, do it! ford put it there for a reason, those motors have a ton of torque.

i wouldn't heat up the bolt on the end of the driveshaft unless you want to be replacing every seal back there when your done. just get a 1/2" drive 12mm 12 point socket and take them out with an impact gun.

hope this helps, good luck and the job really isn't that hard. hope you got a steeda clutch kit or something similar with the quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Quick Reply: Any advice before clutch install?