4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

To all the people to say 'never install gears yourself'

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default To all the people to say 'never install gears yourself'

It really wasnt that bad, you just have to be very precise, have an idea what is actually going on inside the rear end, and its time consuming. I will say after doing them myself, there is no way i'dtrust any shop to do them unless theyspecialize in rear-ends or they change gears on performance cars all the time. There are many shortcuts they could take...I just wouldnt trust.

After 3 days of driving I have no gear whine, everything is running smoothly except a few things... After all the suspension my exhaust is rubbing on the upper control arms... god damn its annoying, fairly easy fix i'm just trying to hold out until the weekend. Reargirdle has a very very slight leak, thanks to ford ****ty *** design. Their gaskets blow not to mention the fact that you have to torque the bolts to 25 ft/lb's while they are allen key slots. Easy fix... just a pain in the *** that I to take the cover off to put another gasket on.

Along with the 3.73's, I installed; auburn ECTED (electronic locker that you can switch from posi to locker), 31 spline moser axles, strange 10way adjustable shocks, MM lower control arms, FMS rear girdle. All new bearings... best $100 investment ever.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:10 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: To all the people to say 'never install gears yourself'

Did you measure backlash? Did you paint the ring gear and check the wear pattern? Did you make sure you had 20 in lbs of resistance on the pinion? O yea, throw the gasket away and just use silicone.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:34 AM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

Did you measure backlash? Did you paint the ring gear and check the wear pattern? Did you make sure you had 20 in lbs of resistance on the pinion? O yea, throw the gasket away and just use silicone.
I see where you are headed with that.
Don't you just hate when you think you have it all just right, and then that whine starts from the pinion bearing because the pre-load was wrong?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:37 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

Yeah... backlash was .01 after some shim rearranging, the torque resistance was 30.5 in lbs. Which with brand new bearings the spec is from 18-29 in lbs. I left it because 1.5 in lb's is negligable, could change just from the torque wrench i was using. The ring gear pattern was pretty much perfect; a little towards the toe if anything but all contact was in the center of the gear.

I may just burn that gasket... making me drain the oil and take it off again... pisses me off haha.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
piledriver
Banned

Good for you on your install. I would never try it, but as for being time consuming, I was amazed when Chris Winters of Crazy Horse Racing installed mine in less than an hour.
he's done hundreds.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

First off, congrats. That is one bad *** rear end setup. It's SO MUCH more gratifying to have a mod that you actually did all yourself. I would LOVE to know a little more about this posi/locker thing. Shoot me a link, or just tell me how it works. Thanks man.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:08 PM
BuzzCut
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt
Reargirdle has a very very slight leak, thanks to ford ****ty *** design. Their gaskets blow not to mention the fact that you have to torque the bolts to 25 ft/lb's while they are allen key slots. Easy fix... just a pain in the *** that I to take the cover off to put another gasket on.
I'm a little confused here... What does Ford have to do with the girdle leak. They didn't put that on there from the factory so it is aftermarket. So explain as it sounds like the installer screwed the pooch and not Ford.

I love it when people blame the parts or manufacturer for their own lack of skills. [sm=chairshot.gif]
Old 06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BuzzCut

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt
Reargirdle has a very very slight leak, thanks to ford ****ty *** design. Their gaskets blow not to mention the fact that you have to torque the bolts to 25 ft/lb's while they are allen key slots. Easy fix... just a pain in the *** that I to take the cover off to put another gasket on.
I'm a little confused here... What does Ford have to do with the girdle leak. They didn't put that on there from the factory so it is aftermarket. So explain as it sounds like the installer screwed the pooch and not Ford.

I love it when people blame the parts or manufacturer for their own lack of skills. [sm=chairshot.gif]

Uhh... its a FRP girdle. It's not something I cant fix fairly easily... its jsut bad designing on their part; should have went with the trickflow one. Just installing it I can think of 3 things they did wrong with it that could easily be changed. And lack of skills... there is probably less than a handful of people on here that have chagnged their entire rear-end without any prior experience.

ZW, ill make a post about it when I get to test it out a little better, I haven had time to finish the wiring. I'll PM ya when I do though.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:17 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Sounds good man. Thanks
Old 06-20-2007, 12:29 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

First off, congrats. That is one bad *** rear end setup. It's SO MUCH more gratifying to have a mod that you actually did all yourself. I would LOVE to know a little more about this posi/locker thing. Shoot me a link, or just tell me how it works. Thanks man.
+1. Sounds interesting. Thanks...

Quick Reply: To all the people to say 'never install gears yourself'