4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

THEFT CODE VEHICLE IMMOBILIZED

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: THEFT CODE VEHICLE IMMOBILIZED

Just find a Custom tuner in your area. Have him flash your puter and give you a flip tune. Handhelds Blow! I paid 250 for my reflash for my PI engine, and a custom burn chip w/ a flip for Economy and Premium.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:57 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

Note to self: Never buy a used tuner because of the possibility that it is not completely unlocked.

That sucks George, the saga continues...good luck.
+1

Sadly that seems to be the truth and like that turbonator thing, a lot of innocent but naive people don't know.
I can appreciate SCT and the others locking the device to the car to protect their business and I can't see anyway where there could be a failsafe "return to stock" that would work for any car because even the stock programs are different for different PCM's on different cars even within the same year and model.

The way this could be avoided is the way that high end computer servers work. They have 2 EPROMs, one contains tha active BIOS and it's settings and the other is a stock BIOS. If the running BIOS should get corrupted, IOW the EPROM, moving a jumper on the motherboad allows the backup EPROM to be used and the machine will work fine.
And BTW the EPROM's in those things get hosed ALL THE TIME.

Of course this cost money and Ford doesn't expect people to be loading in aftermarket tunes, even though they sell one Ford Racing with their performance package (I believe).

**** happens and in reality all it takes is one static burst from that sweater you are wearing to hose the entire ECM or to screw up some settings in the SCT. Then when you load the hosed tune into your car, instant vegetable.
There are checks and balances (CRC file checking etc) but they are not perfect.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:25 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

Just find a Custom tuner in your area. Have him flash your puter and give you a flip tune. Handhelds Blow! I paid 250 for my reflash for my PI engine, and a custom burn chip w/ a flip for Economy and Premium.
Handhelds > chips. I went thru 2 chips, including a one with mulitple tunes, before going with the SCT Xcal and I will never go back.

The only advantage a chip has over a handheld is having a flip switch so you can run either a low octane tune (if you really need to save what, a buck a fill up?) or if you are running a nitrous car and have a seperate nitrous tune.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:52 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

well its gonna cost about 300 just to pinpoint where the short/bad wire is. a new pcm will cost anywhere from 200-800. so im stuck sittin here and waitin for them to find the problem.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

poor george....
Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

losing the car for a few days and having my friends out money cause all they wanted to do was make the car faster... who woulda thought it woulda ended this way? [:@]
Old 06-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GStam66

well its gonna cost about 300 just to pinpoint where the short/bad wire is. a new pcm will cost anywhere from 200-800. so im stuck sittin here and waitin for them to find the problem.
losing the car for a few days and having my friends out money cause all they wanted to do was make the car faster... who woulda thought it woulda ended this way?
I've got a 99 ECU w/ a hypertech tuner that I didn't use when I did my PI swap. If you want it let me know and just pay shipping. I don't need it and I'll wont sell either of them for the same problems we're talking about.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:46 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

ORIGINAL: GStam66

losing the car for a few days and having my friends out money cause all they wanted to do was make the car faster... who woulda thought it woulda ended this way?
I've got a 99 ECU w/ a hypertech tuner that I didn't use when I did my PI swap. If you want it let me know and just pay shipping. I don't need it and I'll wont sell either of them for the same problems we're talking about.
Alright man, ill let ya know. thanks.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

PM'd you
Old 06-23-2007, 10:30 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

didnt get a PM. [&:]

Quick Reply: THEFT CODE VEHICLE IMMOBILIZED