4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TB/Plenum for NA Worth it ? Would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 01:59 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default TB/Plenum for NA Worth it ? Would you do it again?

I have a 2003 GT NA with a Magnaflow Catback and a K&N drop in with the silencer removed.
I don't plan to ever go FI so I am investigating common bolt ons. I'm looking at the Accufab combo (70MM) mostly
because I like the looks and quality of the piece. I don't race, but of course I like to go fast and throttle response
SOP in the midrange, where the Mustang seems a little weak, is important to me.
IOW I rarely go WOT.

5.0 Mustang just did a bolt on comparison last month and the TB/Plenum did make a decent difference.

So with that in mind, honestly, is this a worthwhile upgrade and more importantly to people running NA
if you had to do it again, would you.

TIA
Steve

P.S I've been burning up Google and board search engines with this one and still am unsure.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
JayC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: TB/Plenum for NA Worth it ? Would you do it again?

I picked up a used Trick Flow plenum and a BBK 75mm TB for $200 shipped. Gained a solid 5 rwhp and 8 rwtq.......pretty good $ per HP gain IMO[8D]
Old 06-26-2007, 02:13 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

Well a full boltons 2V + heads and cams can hit 300+ to the rear wheels. A stock 5speed is like 220 to the wheels and a stock auto is even less.

The thing with bolt ons (to me anyway) is that because each only really adds a few ponies individually, and since most of us here usually can only afford like one thing at a time, the gains never seem big. You get used to the change in throttle response and you get used to the few extra ponies fairly quick, especially if your mustang is a daily driver....so over time it may be harder to tell that you're any faster than before.

I have a BBK plenum/TB on my stang now, but soon going F/I so only the TB will be stickin around. However for my car being NA, it was an easy and worthwhile mod. Maybe you get a few ponies out of it, but like you said the weak point in a GT is its midrange, and a TB/Plenum really wakes up the throttle response.

Its a 30 minute swap...45 if you stop to have a beer while doing it, and I think it looks good, sounds good and feels good.....so i'd definetly recommend it.

hope that helped
Old 06-26-2007, 02:19 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

the tb and plenum mod is like gears. it doesnt add horsepower, but it changes the feel of the car. gears improve acceleration and the throttle body + plenum improves throttle response. its a worthwhile mod, if you get the accufab brand (a little more pricey) it even looks good doing it.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

the tb and plenum mod is like gears. it doesnt add horsepower, but it changes the feel of the car. gears improve acceleration and the throttle body + plenum improves throttle response. its a worthwhile mod, if you get the accufab brand (a little more pricey) it even looks good doing it.
I'm a little confused. Several people claim that it does add power (not much, but an increase over the stock setup nonetheless), and also increases throttle response, as you have mentioned.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:33 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

wasn't really worth the money. it gave better throttle response, but didn't give very much in terms of gains. 6RWHP 10RWTQ on a blown GT.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
JT76

if the "seat of your pants dyno" is what your concerned with, forget it......i didnt notice any difference when i had mine
Old 06-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

I'm a little confused. Several people claim that it does add power (not much, but an increase over the stock setup nonetheless), and also increases throttle response, as you have mentioned.
i think he was referring to the fact that it doesnt add enought HP to notice and that you mainly notice the throttle response
Old 06-26-2007, 04:14 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

If you end up getting a TB/plenum, get the 75mm instead of the 70mm. It's better on any application.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:19 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

hell yea its worth it, it was like a kick in the *** mod for my vert..made it so when i pressed the pedal it went instead of thinking about it first. and as far as 70 vs 75 ON N/A. most companies advise 70mm on n/a and 75 for f/i. but most people on the boards tell u to get 75. i went with the 70 and now that i have cai xpipe n cats to go aong with it..i can feel a dif.

Quick Reply: TB/Plenum for NA Worth it ? Would you do it again?