4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

mystery problem with my mustang please help techs

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 01:22 AM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

Default RE: mystery problem with my mustang please help techs

thats why i asked him if it was poping out the exhuast or intake. if its poping out the intake i would think timing. but from what it sounds like he's saying is that when he drives and stops at a gas station and shuts his car off to get gas. And starts it again. and its poping and makingit hard to start is making methink that possibly an injector is bleeding down flooding his engine.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

ORIGINAL: blackstallion666

If the car runs fine after you get it started again. I think you may have a fuel injector intermitantly leaking down and flooding a cyl of the engine causing it to pop, and making it hard to start.
I didnt think of that.
It's not going to throw a p0340 for that though.

p0340indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem couldbe in any part of the circuit. The sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM malfunctioning could throw the code. Don't just replace the cps and think that will definitely fix it.A wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded, shorted or broken.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 AM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

If the car runs fine after you get it started again. I think you may have a fuel injector intermitantly leaking down and flooding a cyl of the engine causing it to pop, and making it hard to start.
I didnt think of that.

p0340indicates that a problem was detected in the camshaft position sensor circuit. Since it says circuit, that means the problem couldbe in any part of the circuit. The sensor itself, the wiring, or the PCM malfunctioning could throw the code. Don't just replace the cps and think that will definitely fix it.A wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded, shorted or broken.

This is true but, that may not be the actual problem to his car cuasing his starting concern
Old 06-27-2007, 01:38 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Could be any of these that throw that code.[*]CMP circuit open.[*]CMP circuit short to GND.[*]CMP circuit short to PWR.[*]SIG RTN open (VR sensor).[*]CMP GND open (Hall-effect sensor).[*]CMP incorrectly installed (Hall-effect sensor).[*]Damaged CMP sensor shielding.[*]Damaged CMP sensor.[*]Damaged PCM.

Check all of these: harness routing, harness alterations, improper shielding, or electrical interference from other improperly functioning systems may have an intermittent impact on the CMP signal.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:40 AM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

yes it can
Old 06-27-2007, 01:42 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

I didnt think of that.

This is true but it doesn't mean that there's not possibly something else causing his problem

I agree.He may have multiple problems. What you can do totest for a leaking injectoristo connect a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve located on the pass. side fuel rail. 02's should have one. Idle the car until the pressure is up. Shut it off and let it sit over night with the gauge still attached. If you loose more than 5-15 psi of fuel pressure, more than likely it's a leaking injector.

I still lean towards a short/bad connection in the CPS circuit.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:45 AM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

now the question is. Was the new sensor installed a ford sensor. If it was a sensor from a parts store down the street.It may not be the correct size and not providing them proper gap between the sensor and the trigger wheel. another possibility
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

i got your pm

the problem is with the alternator. something internally, a diode i think goesbad in the alt. which causes it to electro-magnetically intereferewith the cps......especially since they are both on the same harness( and the cps is a halls effect [magnetic] sensor), so now the pcm thinksthat the cps is out of whack, hence the p0340 code

the carbackfires on start up because the pcm doesn't know where the camshaft is so now the injectors are out of sync which is why it would appear to be a timing issue at first glance. believe me, this code gave me hell to figure out since the mechanics weren't much help, one guy even laughed when i told him i wasgoing toput a new alternator in
Old 06-27-2007, 03:32 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

ORIGINAL: Brute03

i got your pm

the problem is with the alternator. something internally, a diode i think goesbad in the alt. which causes it to electro-magnetically intereferewith the cps......especially since they are both on the same harness( and the cps is a halls effect [magnetic] sensor), so now the pcm thinksthat the cps is out of whack, hence the p0340 code

the carbackfires on start up because the pcm doesn't know where the camshaft is so now the injectors are out of sync which is why it would appear to be a timing issue at first glance. believe me, this code gave me hell to figure out since the mechanics weren't much help, one guy even laughed when i told him i wasgoing toput a new alternator in
Not necessarily. I had this same problem and I couldn't figure out what it was. I replaced the alternator and that wasn't it. I ended up bringing it to the dealership and it was a bad PCM. An ignition coil had gone bad and killed the PCM. They replaced it free because the PCM's are warrantied for 7 years.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Brute03
5th Gear Member

well 90% of the time it's usually the alt. that causes a false cps code. i'm curious to know how a coil killed your computer though

Quick Reply: mystery problem with my mustang please help techs