4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installing boost and A/F gauges

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 AM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

Default Installing boost and A/F gauges

after a day fiddelingand a ton of searching on the wab and fourms i can't find what i'm looking for... i need help, or a how to guide on installing a boost, and A/f gauge... i got them to light up and turn on... but the readings are not correct... 1st the boost gauge is only reading the vacume... according to the diagram it came with thats all you needed to tap was a vacume line so did and it's notreading boost presure...need pics and details please of where to tap into...then with the A/F gauge i don't know what wire to splice into for the actual reading of the A/f ratio... if anyone has installed their gauges or know of some where to get info for a 2002 GT please help me out.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:34 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing boost and A/F gauges

This is probably a retarded question, but from you whp numbers I have to ask.

You do have either a turbo or supercharger right? If so, any vaccum line should show boost when your building it. I plugged into the line coming out ofthe plenum area, it already hada T so I pipped in another T and there you have it. FYI, its only really going to show boost under a load, that is to say in gear at WOT above about 3000 RPM. Before that, a centri powered 2v isn't going to make any boost.

So far as the a/f ratio gauge, I beileve you need to tap it the 02 sensor, but I was under the impression it either came with one or you had to supply another (and another bung in the ehxuast)?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:46 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

you have 247RWHP? i'm assuming you have boltons but no form of forced induction. if so, then your gauge is reading perfectly fine.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:22 AM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

sorry i haven't updated my car portfoilo in a while...i'm running a vortech supercharger, with an after cooler.... ok now... well as you know all 99-04 mustang have 4 o2 sensors that all tie into gether... that come up from where the shifter is located rather than cutting into all the wires and testing them... i was wondering if anyone knows exctly what wire to splice into. i have tried a few but the task of checking and checking is long and some one should be able to help... right? here are some pics of the wiring harness that i belive you cut in to [IMG][/IMG] and
Old 06-29-2007, 04:49 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

any vacuum line will work

is the AF gauge a wide band or narrow band?

also you can tap power from your dimmer then the gauges will dim with the dash lights, don't forget to fuse them just in case
Old 06-29-2007, 07:44 AM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

it is a narrow band gauge... am i splicing into thre right area or is there any where else that i should be looking?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

You need the GREY/LT BLUE TRACE...goes to the RF o2 sensor.I tappedright by the ecm as,my tach adaptor need to be tapped into the crank sensor wires...so,I tapped both @ the ecm...if you decide to tap at the ecm ...its also pin 60.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:49 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Rear 02's come up from the shifter....not the fronts?...I'd go witha front sensor ,either the right or left.(rears are for convertor efficiency only not A/F ratio)
Old 06-29-2007, 11:56 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Goto autozone and buy a bunch of tap-a-fuses for power instead of splicing wires; a lot easier.

Boost gauge, where did you tap the vacume line? Should be one of the red wires that run the area of the fuel rails. You'll also need a T-Fitting. It connects just like the bypass valve.

Sell the air fuel gauges, its worthless. Actually I'd sell both, boost gauge is good at first to make sure everything is working properly, but after that i've never used it, then sold them.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:43 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Goto autozone and buy a bunch of tap-a-fuses for power instead of splicing wires; a lot easier.

Boost gauge, where did you tap the vacume line? Should be one of the red wires that run the area of the fuel rails. You'll also need a T-Fitting. It connects just like the bypass valve.

Sell the air fuel gauges, its worthless. Actually I'd sell both, boost gauge is good at first to make sure everything is working properly, but after that i've never used it, then sold them.
actually i highly recommend the A/F ratio gauge only if its wideband though... it will let you know if youre having any problems running rich or lean, which is especially important if youre F/I. If youre auto, id also get a tranny temp gauge, if youre manual id go with a differential gauge. all these will let you know if something is going wrong, which you wanna know before hand when ur F/I

Quick Reply: Installing boost and A/F gauges