4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP: I need alot of information/parts help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:15 PM
MustangNuB

Default HELP: I need alot of information/parts help!!!

Hey all, im still kind of new here. I looking to purchase my first Stang soon hopefully, after i sell my current hunk of junk.
My friend has a '99 Z28 6-spd camaro. Stock. Nough said.
I am looking to purchase a '99-04 Mustang GT 5-Spd convertible. For some reason insurance is cheaper on the verts over the coupes. That and I have always wanted a convertible.
Now on to my ideas. I have been doing alot of researching on parts and performance items etc etc etc. I have some of the basics down that i am going to get like catback, intake, gears, shifter etc. and i want to add a S.C not to long after having the car. Now the difficult (for me) stuff.....
I am going to put these items and questions in stages so when one answers they can answer them all individually or whichever one they have the knowledge of.

Headers: whats the performance difference between longtubes, shorty's. equal lengths?? Which one is better and why? Also Which brand has the best gains and quality??

Exhaust question: Should i get an X-pipe or H-pipe ?? Which brands are best and dont give a raspy tone??

Mass Air Flow Sensors: I have seen numerous ones of these and dont know which one/brand to purchase?? Any help or preferrences?? How much of a H.P gain to they give?? are they worth the money??

Upper intake plenums: Which brands are best?? and any other info yall wanna give me?? are they worth the money??

Pulley kits again which brands are of best quality and best performance gains??? and are they worth the money??

Larger throttle bodies which brand? and how big should i go?? worth the money??

MIL eliminators: what are they for?? Should I/will I need one??

Chips/electronic tuners: I have seen lots of these, which ones are best/give the best gains/performance??

As for superchargers: I plan on adding one, and running about 7-8 psi. If not right away, within a year of having the vehicle. I like the prochargers just b/c they dont need to punch a hole in the oil pan and are mostly maintenance free. However, hows there performance? when do they kick in etc??
Also how do these supercharger brands stack up, vortech, paxton, powerdyne, and whatevers left??
when purchasing a S.C kit, do they come with fuel/tuning items?? or will i have to purchase a programer or chip & will I Have to take the car to a dyno right away after installing the S.C? when i was looking into getting a VW GTI their upgrade turbo kits came with chips etc so u just installed it and it was ready to go, no need for major tuning or dyno'ing??
BTW: I already own an innovate Wide-band O2 if any of yall have heard of them.

WOW I just majorly went brain dead, but thats about it for now, whenever I need to write stuff down I forget most of it. So when I remember whatever I have left to ask i will edit this post. Thanks for any/all help.

I just want to put the smack down on this damn 16 yr old with a Z28!! Ok, fine screw the LS1 I want to at least keep up. His ego is killing me!!!

EDIT: also what about a meziere electric water pump?!?!?

which brands of products do you prefer.............

Steeda
BBK
MAC
Trickflow
UPR
Granatelli Motorsports
Stillen
March Pulleys
C&L performance
Hypertech
Superchips
Diablosport Predator
ETC ETC...

Thank you all again, and hang with me I am a real fast learner...
Old 01-11-2005, 10:49 PM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP: I need alot of information/parts help!!!

wow now thats a long question.
im goin to be simple:

long tube

x-pipe

Steeda Pulleys

BBK TB

Predator

and u dont have to tune ur s/c right after u install it esp. if u dont produce anything close to 10psi. if u produced way over 10 psi then dont reach full boost until u tune it to get the a/f correct.

anyother question u asked i either dont know, or i just was to lazy to read the entire question.

Good luck

MD u could prob. ans these questions better.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:03 PM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

well, i dont think an x pipe would work since they give more of a raspy sound and thats what he doesnt want. i would go with the H pipe. it gives more of the deep muscle car sound. it all depends on the catback that u get though. cuz if u get a magnaflows or magnapacks for instance then an x pipe would be better but if u get flowmasters then an H pipe would be ideal.

Get the American Thunder Flowmaster catback with an off road H-pipe. that will give u a nice and deep throaty sound.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:28 PM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

no packs all the way w/ a o/r x
Old 01-12-2005, 01:06 AM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

ya but that is more raspy than flows. i personally like them both the same but if u dont want raspy then go with flows.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:08 AM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

go to mustangexhaust.com and they have plenty of sound clips. just see for yourself. cuz u may not consider the packs as being raspy its just that most ppl say they r raspier than flows. packs will be the better durability for your cash though
Old 01-12-2005, 01:25 AM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

i dont think their raspy they r just loud as fvck!!!! then again my definition of raspy is prob. different than urs
Old 01-12-2005, 01:44 AM
mustangGTdude1031
4th Gear Member

to each their own.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:53 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangNuB

I am looking to purchase a '99-04 Mustang GT 5-Spd convertible. For some reason insurance is cheaper on the verts over the coupes. That and I have always wanted a convertible.
Lets start with this. You want a convertible, you gotta get subframe connectors. Power doesn't matter if you cant stick to the pavement.

I have some of the basics down that i am going to get like catback, intake, gears, shifter etc. and i want to add a S.C not to long after having the car.

Headers: whats the performance difference between longtubes, shorty's. equal lengths?? Which one is better and why? Also Which brand has the best gains and quality??
Longtubes are the best for sound and performance. The downside is that they are more of a pain to install. Note that with longtubes, you need an H or X pipe which is sized for long tubes. Basssani makes good mid length headers where are a good compromise (just about equal to LT performance).

Exhaust question: Should i get an X-pipe or H-pipe ?? Which brands are best and dont give a raspy tone??
alright, this is something where it's best to do your own homework. Mustang Enthusiest Magazine recently did an article on this (I think current issue) and the difference between the different H or X pipes was pretty small (like 1 or 2 hp). Your best bet is to actually look at the thing. What is the diameter of the pipe, how smooth of a weld (on the inside) does it have. Is there a large or a small crossover opening... It's really your call. X pipes are going to be a little more raspy but it's not neccessarily a bad thing and they can typically give you slightly more peak hp.

Mass Air Flow Sensors: I have seen numerous ones of these and dont know which one/brand to purchase?? Any help or preferrences?? How much of a H.P gain to they give?? are they worth the money??
Lightning MAM (along with some beefed up injectors). This sort of mod matters most if/when installing your Supercharger.

Upper intake plenums: Which brands are best?? and any other info yall wanna give me?? are they worth the money??
C&L trueflow plenum (for 75mm TB) If you get a twin screw, ebay your plenum.

Pulley kits again which brands are of best quality and best performance gains??? and are they worth the money??
It's worthwhile to do early but save your old pulleys... when you get your SC switch back and sell the underdrives on ebay

Larger throttle bodies which brand? and how big should i go?? worth the money??
N/A 70 mm, SC 75mm. Brand isn't a big deal but accufab is the best

MIL eliminators: what are they for?? Should I/will I need one??
only if you get an offroad X or H pipe

Chips/electronic tuners: I have seen lots of these, which ones are best/give the best gains/performance??
um... SCT is my preference.... Diablosport isn't too bad either.

As for superchargers:
This is what will turn your stang into a beast. Here is the deal. If you want the best, it's Keene Bell. Simple and plain. If you want the best value, it's either procharger or vortech. better have 4 grand on hand for this as it's not an easy DIY. When you eventually go in for a dyno tune, you're gonna find out whether you need bigger injectors and a new fuel pump.

EDIT: also what about a meziere electric water pump?!?!?
Noone has mentioned that they've tried it out on here. Maybe it's worthwhile, maybe it isn't but you are atleast going to need a new belt with it and you wont want to have underdrives with it as your alternator is going to need the extra power

which brands of products do you prefer............. Ehh, Steeda is my favorite i guess.

Thank you all again, and hang with me I am a real fast learner...
Other stuff to consider when adding power: Bigger front brakes, Lower Control arms, springs, shocks/struts....
Old 01-12-2005, 05:04 PM
99 cobra
2nd Gear Member

Couldn't have said it better Fallstar01![sm=hail.gif]

99 cobra

Quick Reply: HELP: I need alot of information/parts help!!!