4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shifting without letting off gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Default RE: shifting without letting off gas

ORIGINAL: DaMach04

DO NOT POWER SHIFT WITH THE T-3650

that tranny is such a piece of mother ******* **** I ******* HATE THAT PIECE OF **** IT CAN BURN IN ******* HELL!!!!!![:@][:@][:@]

im sory, i just dont think the T-3650 has any reason to ever be placed in a mustang. The first time you power shift, you can pretty much bet you f'd something up, and later down the road you are gonna have all kinds of problems.
+1 First time i Tried Powershifting I screwed the 3rd Gear Synchros... Nvr been the same since. Fixed them, now 5th and Rev. act up!!! TKO600 FTW!!!(4days untill i get it Stupid 4thjuly getting in the way) GRRRR
Old 07-03-2007, 05:54 PM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

st dont think the T-3650 has any reason to ever be placed in a mustang. The first time you power shift, you can pretty much bet you f'd something up, and later down the road you are gonna have all kinds of problems.
ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

that tranny is such a piece of mother ******* **** I ******* HATE THAT PIECE OF **** IT CAN BURN IN ******* HELL!!!!!![:@][:@][:@]

im sory, i just dont think the T-3650 has any reason to ever be placed in a mustang. The first time you power shift, you can pretty much bet you f'd something up, and later down the road you are gonna have all kinds of problems.
Easy now!! Calm down!! It's (3650) much better than the T-45

LIES!!!!!!!!!! ALL LIES!!!!!!!! T-45 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, they both suck, but I've powershifted mine 1-2 ALOT, and i've never had any problems.
i have a T-45 and mines fine always doing 1-2 and 2-3 shift havent had any problems with it, only thing i have problem with is getting into reverse but it been like that even since i bought my car
Old 07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
ColinGT
4th Gear Member

so anyone know any place online where i can get a shift kit and stall converter
Old 07-04-2007, 03:50 AM
00ModGT
2nd Gear Member

i had the t-45 in my 2000 GT and i never had 1 problem with it after 43k miles. Now i have a friend with a 2004 Mach 1 with tranny problems all of the time and a buddy with a 2003 GT who had so many problems with his 3650 that he got a TKO 600 but the 1st gear was too long so he has settled for a TKO500. It seams like the TKO500 is a very nice trans for stangs. Its gearing is like stock, but it can withstand a lot more abuse.
Just a little input. I have heard the 3650 is very expensive to fix as well.....
Old 07-04-2007, 04:27 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BADSEED

you mean powershifting everytime i drive it i have to get atleast one in and i drive it every day haven't had a problem with the trans yet lol also knocks off like 3 tenths in the 1/4
If your constanly powershifting a T-45 you have been nothing but extremly lucky. Itsonly a matter of time, everything will be fine, you will powershift into 3rd, and BANG suddenly you no longer have 3rd and 4th gear.

I went thru this twice before junking that crap 45 and going TKO... and I will never go back.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:45 AM
clix813
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

st dont think the T-3650 has any reason to ever be placed in a mustang. The first time you power shift, you can pretty much bet you f'd something up, and later down the road you are gonna have all kinds of problems.
ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Easy now!! Calm down!! It's (3650) much better than the T-45

LIES!!!!!!!!!! ALL LIES!!!!!!!! T-45 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, they both suck, but I've powershifted mine 1-2 ALOT, and i've never had any problems.
Must have been built on wensday lol
Old 07-04-2007, 11:23 PM
incubus1275
2nd Gear Member

The only good stock trans is a viper spec T-56 rated for 550 ft-tq. If you know what you are doing building up a T-45 is a whole lot cheaper than getting a TKO600 and can hold the same amount of torque. The key is knowing how to build a trans for racing. Good syncros, steel or forged shift forks and very slight bearing preload will go a longggg way. Basicly i spent 500 bucks to build my T-45 to withstand about mid 500's ft-tq instead of buying a TKO. After taking apart the T-45, i had a lot more respect for it. It is designed well and uses strong shafts, gears and bearings but as usuall the weak points in the T type trans is the shift forks and syncro's. When ever I hear someone start dissing the T-45's it kind of pisses me off because think about it, how many mustangs does ford produce for the price you pay for one? Its not going to stand up to constant beating unless it is built up just like anything else $24,000. I used to speed shift, revmatch downshifting, launch at 4K on slicks and I would trust my T-45 any day anywhere. Ofcourse i would like to have a TKO600 and they are sweet as hell, but all I'm saying is that if you know a friend or know what your doing and dont have a few thousand bucks laying around, it is a boatload cheaper to build the stock trans.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incubus1275

The only good stock trans is a viper spec T-56 rated for 550 ft-tq. If you know what you are doing building up a T-45 is a whole lot cheaper than getting a TKO600 and can hold the same amount of torque. The key is knowing how to build a trans for racing. Good syncros, steel or forged shift forks and very slight bearing preload will go a longggg way. Basicly i spent 500 bucks to build my T-45 to withstand about mid 500's ft-tq instead of buying a TKO. After taking apart the T-45, i had a lot more respect for it. It is designed well and uses strong shafts, gears and bearings but as usuall the weak points in the T type trans is the shift forks and syncro's. When ever I hear someone start dissing the T-45's it kind of pisses me off because think about it, how many mustangs does ford produce for the price you pay for one? Its not going to stand up to constant beating unless it is built up just like anything else $24,000. I used to speed shift, revmatch downshifting, launch at 4K on slicks and I would trust my T-45 any day anywhere. Ofcourse i would like to have a TKO600 and they are sweet as hell, but all I'm saying is that if you know a friend or know what your doing and dont have a few thousand bucks laying around, it is a boatload cheaper to build the stock trans.
you can build it, get a little more out of it, and still trash the syncs and end up pulling it again. The TKO numbers are extremly underrated, and not only that but no matter what you do to a 45 its still not going to shift and be as smooth as a TKO. If you have never driven/owned a aftermarket trans you just can't understand the difference... its night and day.

TKO ftw. Its an expensive swap, but its very much so worth it in the end. I didn't want to ever have to worry about trashing out the syncs and striping the teeth right off the gear... which is exactly what I did twice.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:38 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: incubus1275

you can build it, get a little more out of it, and still trash the syncs and end up pulling it again. The TKO numbers are extremly underrated, and not only that but no matter what you do to a 45 its still not going to shift and be as smooth as a TKO. If you have never driven/owned a aftermarket trans you just can't understand the difference... its night and day.

TKO ftw. Its an expensive swap, but its very much so worth it in the end. I didn't want to ever have to worry about trashing out the syncs and striping the teeth right off the gear... which is exactly what I did twice.
+1, Incubus I see your from the Philly area so you should know about http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/well the folks there even told me it's nuts to rebuild a T-45 because in the end I'll be dissapointed, so I went with the TKO and glad I did!!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Reed44
3rd Gear Member

I do a half and half powershift. Its even hard on my trans doing that. My TOB is bad at 23k.

Quick Reply: shifting without letting off gas