4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Odd Ticking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 AM
GolfmanSpeck
2nd Gear Member

Default Odd Ticking Sound

When my car is cold and I start it I get a weird ticking sound. When I start the carinitiallygoes up to 1500 rpm then drops to 1000 rpm. The ticking starts almost immediately to the start, but stops before the rpms drop to 1000. I never hear the sound again until my car completely cools off (about 3-4 hours). As I sit in the drivers seat it sounds like it's comes from the passenger side tocenterfootboards. I have replaced the TOB; it wasn't the problem. Any ideas as to what it could be?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:04 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: Odd Ticking Sound

Exhaust leak of some kind?
Old 07-03-2007, 12:03 PM
02DKBLUE
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the exact same thing that happened to me but i have an auto. I changed my oil and it went away; i'm assuming i was low on oil.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:21 PM
StrklyBizness
2nd Gear Member

change tha oil....thats tha engine telling you its hurting and it hates you for it

jk but yea, its most likely very low or has no oil left...check that ASAP
Old 07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

The engine needs to build up oil pressure. Itll make a lot of clatter for a couple of seconds until the oil reaches the top of the engine. Thats why its good to run synthetic. I run Castrol syntec for that very reason. They chemically formulated it so that it bonds to the metal. So there isnt too much wear upon initial startup.
-P.
PS: Syntec 5w50 FTW!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:50 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

either the oil, or possibly a bad gasket in your exhaust some where.

I had that happen when my header gaskets burned up. It would tick a little untill the car got warm, then the heat would cause the gasket to seal back up. then as it cooled, it would tick again.

check your oil first, but its not low, then start checking your exhaust for leaks.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:30 PM
GolfmanSpeck
2nd Gear Member

I just changed the oil recently, 5w-30 castrol syntec blend. Level is good.

If I have someone else start the car and I am listening from the engine compartment, I can barely hear it. However if I start it from the inside with either driverside or passenger door open, it is much louder.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-03-2007, 05:49 PM
DaMach04
4th Gear Member

my exhaust leak started out louder inside than outside. If it starts to get louder over time, then it is probably a burned out gasket, and the hole is just getting bigger. Also, the ticking noise will go up and down with the rpm's if its an exhaust leak...

edit: im an idiot...if its realy loud near the floor board, then jack the car up and slide under while its idling. and see if you can hear it. Try putting your hand NEAR (not directly on) your exhaust piping to see if you can feel air coming out. Try to pinpoint it and see if its a gasket...or possibly just a loose clamp.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:19 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

seafoam in the valve covers, just to make sure its not a sticking valve. hope its not a valve spring. theres another post like this one, i put some ideas in there to check out.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:27 PM
GolfmanSpeck
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

seafoam in the valve covers, just to make sure its not a sticking valve. hope its not a valve spring. theres another post like this one, i put some ideas in there to check out.
wouldn'tI be able to hear a valve spring from the engine compartment better than in the car?

Quick Reply: Odd Ticking Sound