4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Roots blower vs Centrifical

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Roots blower vs Centrifical

Don't waist your money on a roots style blower.Why do you thinka lot ofthe 03-04 Cobra guys change out to a KB, (twin screw style), from the factory Eaton, (roots style),when they want to make BIG power?
Go KB or Centri.
I'm confused......mine is a Series V, roots-style, twin screw supercharger (Whipple).
Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mills281e

Don't waist your money on a roots style blower.Why do you thinka lot ofthe 03-04 Cobra guys change out to a KB, (twin screw style), from the factory Eaton, (roots style),when they want to make BIG power?
Go KB or Centri.
I'm confused......mine is a Series V, roots-style, twin screw supercharger (Whipple).

This will explain the differences better than I can tell you. That is if you can get through all the KB propaganda.

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...romcatalog.pdf
Old 07-05-2007, 10:52 PM
5speedstang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

ORIGINAL: mills281e

Go KB or Centri.

This will explain the differences better than I can tell you. That is if you can get through all the KB propaganda.

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...romcatalog.pdf
thanks for posting that link. ive always wonderded what the diff was and no one would explain it to me.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:29 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

lol

the saleen blower is a joke

for the price you pay and the power you get from it.hahaha
Old 07-05-2007, 11:45 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Oh gawd...... Just go Twin Turbos!!!!! lol
Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

twin turbo would be nice as well

but the spool kills you, by the time you spool up your goin 100+ lol
Old 07-05-2007, 11:49 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01snake

twin turbo would be nice as well

but the spool kills you, by the time you spool up your goin 100+ lol

Thats why you get one smaller turbo to spool up quickly, and one big turbo to take over at the high end!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Some roots type blowers could possibly make the same power as some centri's, but in most case its roots<centri<twinscrew<turbo... you get what you pay for... But the centri looks cooler, is cheaper... and get good power out of it.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:06 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

Roots is pretty much instant power, where centriFUGAL (not fical, lol) needs to spool, similiar to a turbo. they just make power in different parts of the powerband.
+1

Our 2v's need the HPup in the high rpms. Aroots style (KB) isgonna have boost @ idle & run out of boost @about 4000 RPM's. Nice for wheel spin & short shifting but thats about it. Roots S/Crs loose efficiency in the high rpms.A Centrifugal S/C like a Procharger is a much nicer fit for the 4.6's. They dont start making boost till about 3000 rpms.
Combine a centrifugal S/C with a good dyno tune & you will feel it pull off the line right past 6000 RPM's. Only thing keeping you from making power even higher is your valves will start to float & mb bend a rod. A dyno tune will give you the torque on low rpms & the S/C gives you the HP past 3000 rpms.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:37 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FrostByte

ORIGINAL: Xemeth

Roots is pretty much instant power, where centriFUGAL (not fical, lol) needs to spool, similiar to a turbo. they just make power in different parts of the powerband.
+1

Our 2v's need the HPup in the high rpms. Aroots style (KB) isgonna have boost @ idle & run out of boost @about 4000 RPM's. Nice for wheel spin & short shifting but thats about it. Roots S/Crs loose efficiency in the high rpms.A Centrifugal S/C like a Procharger is a much nicer fit for the 4.6's. They dont start making boost till about 3000 rpms.
Combine a centrifugal S/C with a good dyno tune & you will feel it pull off the line right past 6000 RPM's. Only thing keeping you from making power even higher is your valves will start to float & mb bend a rod. A dyno tune will give you the torque on low rpms & the S/C gives you the HP past 3000 rpms.
That statement is absolutely incorrect. KB is NOT aroots style blower. It is a twin screw. Youobtain literally ZERO boost at idle as the bypass valve iswide open at idleallowing any small amount of boost the KBwould create at 800 rpm's to just recirculate in the blower. You are not understanding the "positive displacement" principle. Depending on your boost level and engine/intake/exhaust combination, the KB will continue to build boost to red-line. I get 6 psi out of it at 2.0K and I don't reach 11 psi until 5.8K.

As far as the rest of your statement is concerned, I'll take it with the same grain of salt.

Quick Reply: Roots blower vs Centrifical