4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

OVERCHARGED..need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 06:54 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

Default OVERCHARGED..need some help

Well i got my alternator on my cobra and i had it tested..this thing puts out 160 amps easily..This is too much for my system...I have a thery that i think will work but corect me if im wrong..If i got some underdriven pulleys that slowed everything down by 25% then i shouldnt have a problem (overcharging) with this bad a$$ altenator..it should slow it down some right? and if i went that route then im gona go ahead and buy me an electric water pump to so my car dosnt overheat cause i drive in back to back traffic everyday..so tell me...do you guys think that will work or should i play it safe and buy a lower amp alternator? [sm=feedback.gif]
Old 01-14-2005, 06:58 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: OVERCHARGED..need some help

Play it safe
Old 01-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I'm not quite sure what the problem is, especially with your water pump. Your car won't run any hotter if you get underdrive pullies.

Why did you with a alternator with a higher amperage than stock anyways [&:]
Old 01-14-2005, 08:11 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

because i have a pretty good stereo system and my lights dimed everytime my bass would hit..and between uderdrives and stero..that burnt up my last alternator..and yes underdriven pullies ran MY car hot..trust me i had them on before and its ran fine since ive put original pullies back on there..i just need to know if i should underdrive it and buy an electric water pump and see what happends or should i just buy another alternator
Old 01-14-2005, 08:46 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

your not gonna overcharge anything, alternators have a voltage regulator that cuts current coming from the alternator when your battery is charged. While you drive the car down the road the regulator is kicking on and off as you need or don't need to charge your battery.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:00 PM
00GT00
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mysticsvtcobra96

because i have a pretty good stereo system and my lights dimed everytime my bass would hit..and between uderdrives and stero..that burnt up my last alternator..and yes underdriven pullies ran MY car hot..trust me i had them on before and its ran fine since ive put original pullies back on there..i just need to know if i should underdrive it and buy an electric water pump and see what happends or should i just buy another alternator

The pulleys are not the casue of your heating problems, they might add to it but not the casue. 99.9% of 1996 Cobra's have an over-heating problem! Just the way it is! If you want the real fix Ford put out a TSB (or whatever they are called) to replace the entire cooling system! It costs around $1200 if I remeber correctly. Or you can do it yourself for like half that. Get a 98 Cobra Raditor and the related parts and that should do it becasue you already have a better water pump.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:22 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

the only thing im worried about is why my battery light comes on whenever i hit around 5800rpm...its never done that before and that battery is an optima red top battery..i just bought it like 2 months ago..and yeah i agree with you 110% 00gt00 thats why i said it ran (my) car hot
Old 01-14-2005, 09:29 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

battery light is run by the diodes, maybe you got a bad alternator or bad / corroded plug
Old 01-14-2005, 10:35 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

its a brand new alternator..im not sure..im going to hook up a voltage meter and rev it up to 6k rpm and see whats going on with the volts..maybe the alternator drops at that rpm..just have to see
Old 01-15-2005, 03:13 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

You should have just gotten a capacitor...