4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

hood scoop needs to be functional

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 06:21 AM
krafty02
2nd Gear Member

Default hood scoop needs to be functional

Just got my "new" 02 home, need to do something useful with that hood scoop. What kits are available to take some of the air (once opened) and "ram" it into the box. Some drain holes in the line, and cap off the fender inlet... should be good, no?

I remember once hearing of a guy who took out his driving lamps and routed two hoses into a larger air box with a high flow filter. That might be good too.

What is everyone doing?
Late,
Krafty
Old 01-15-2005, 10:45 AM
ONE BAD GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: hood scoop needs to be functional

sup newbie. Welcome. Um, you can buy the kit at www.mustangtuning.com The shaker kit i think. It's like $700. I was thinking about doing that but decided it was too much money for not that much of a gain. You better off getting a full exhaust with that money. It will give you more power.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:10 AM
krafty02
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the welcome one bad gt. You and YingYang were the only two to acknowledge my existence. For that I will hook you up. The $700 ram air kit from mustang tuning is bull**** and not even what we need. Our stangs already have a scoop, why would we need to pay someone else for another one? and what should we do with ours when we take it off? throw it away? get real.

I have found truer ram air kits for $169 but rather than pay that much, I download their plans and will go to home depot tomorrow. I believe I can make this kit for under $20 and you two will be the first ones I mail my parts list and directions to. Remember, ram air makes horsepower and cold air makes even more horsepower.... I believe the formula is something like for every 10 Degree drop in temperature you make 1% horsepower. So if we can drop the temperature 40 degrees, thats 4% of 260 = 10.4 hp for $20. Plus, The addition of air forced into the airbox, through the high-flow filter will add horsepower to the engine. Its all about volumetric efficiency. I do understand this method, only because I just researched it. But non-the-less, its increases h.p. Even more than the 1%rule. Unfortunately there is no formula for ram air but old road and track articles claim 5-15 h.p. depending on the volumn and looking at the tiny nostrils of the challengers ram air compared to our large scoop opening, we should be at the higher range. Imagine 25 hp for $20.

If the home-made ram air kit becomes too involved with the routing from the hood scoop, I will be doing a kit to draw even cooler air from the driving lights nacelles. Closer to the ground will be cooler by a few degrees at least.

I have a g-tech pro and will get some readings tomorrow before I start any mods so we can see if all this crap adds up to any real gains.

Peace,
Krafty
Old 01-17-2005, 03:31 AM
Phillyblunt474
2nd Gear Member

would be really cool to have a "ram" air intake that works great for around 20bucks, would be a cool one to see.

Welcome to the forums man, and good luck with the project, and the stang all together
Old 01-17-2005, 05:13 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Homemade ram air kit through your non-functional hoodscoop huh? Not bashing, but good luck with that one Might I suppesgt you go under the front bumer or perhaps remove the foglight assembly on the side corresponding with your airfilter. get a more direct flow from there.

Your formula is close, but you will doubtfully get a 40 Degree drop in Air temperature. Also that ram air effect will show you no gains whatsoever unless you are going about 60+MPH. Good luck and post pics of the finished install. Check this out for ideas.... http://www.need-4-speed.com/march.htm

And.....WELCOME!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 05:43 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

yea, the only thing you are going to get from the factory scoop if you decide to gut it is a bunch of air that'll enter to help cool the engine bay, or allow a way for more heat to escape. If you want to functional scoop get a shaker. $20...well that might get you most of a K&N air filter lol
Old 01-17-2005, 01:27 PM
langod
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

Homemade ram air kit through your non-functional hoodscoop huh? Not bashing, but good luck with that one Might I suppesgt you go under the front bumer or perhaps remove the foglight assembly on the side corresponding with your airfilter. get a more direct flow from there.

Your formula is close, but you will doubtfully get a 40 Degree drop in Air temperature. Also that ram air effect will show you no gains whatsoever unless you are going about 60+MPH. Good luck and post pics of the finished install. Check this out for ideas.... http://www.need-4-speed.com/march.htm

And.....WELCOME!!!
There's a long thread on All Ford Mustangs all about Ram Air too. For the cost, it adds almost nothing. The problem with the setup of our 4.6's and the stock hood, is that to get the "rammed" air into the filter and intake, you've got to direct the airflow through a couple of really sharp turns -- and every time you do that you increase the restriction and reduce the flow. By the time the air actually gets to the intake it's down to almost no gain. Another problem is that the shape of front of the hood actually directs the air over the hood scoop -- it's not directly in the airstream. The snorkel should actually be another couple of inches higher to make it more effective.
The estimates I've seen give the Mach 1 two or maybe three hp attributed to the ram air. It's unfortunate, but the Mach 1 scoop seems to be mostly looks.

Jim
Old 01-17-2005, 02:56 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Yeah man, people have tried this before and it doesnt really work. You are going to get all sorts of water, leaves, bugs, etc. in your intake if you do this. As little as $20 is, its not worth ruining your hood over.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

The whole concept of Ram Air is kind of crazy. It does breath better, but it would take an airspeed of over 200 mph to gain a slight supercharging effect. Sounds like a lot of work for not much gain. Not to mention the crap it will suck into the air box. Just stick a CAI in it and be done with it.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:30 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I agree.

Quick Reply: hood scoop needs to be functional