4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New -- Need Help with some first mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 05:35 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: New -- Need Help with some first mods

ORIGINAL: eviper88

Hey everyone.

I just got an 01 GT and i was lookin to start modding it. Now i have about $1500. What would be the best way to gain some performance?

I have been reading a lot, and I've noticed that a head swap would be the cheapest way to gain hp, but when i've looked into doing it, i've only found heads for the 93-98 engine. Can you do a head swap on an 01?

Also, i live in NJ, and im not exactly sure what the laws are here regarding these things.

Thanks
You don't need to worry about heads. The swap kits are for pre '99 4.6 engines. Yours already has the good heads (called PI).

The other advice about exhaust etc is good. It's up to you.

Personally, I noticed the biggest difference when I did the gears and midpipe.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Aliate X
I ♥ Acer

I love when ppl start threads like this and never reply.

If you have 1500 dollars, save up and get a supercharger lol.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

If you have 1500 dollars, save up and get a supercharger lol.

That's what i am saying! I coulda bought a supercharger if I hadn't bought all the other $h*t! Way more HP too!
Old 01-17-2005, 06:36 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1gt

Its not that they have problems, its that they are really only 68mm wide and the 75mm throttle bodys perform better.
I have a 70mm t/b for my '02 from FRPP & it works just fine. Had I waited one more week I'd have gotten a 75mm from Accufab, but I didn't. As it is, FRPP is not crap & they offer more than a 68mm t/b.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:46 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

ORIGINAL: 2k1gt

Its not that they have problems, its that they are really only 68mm wide and the 75mm throttle bodys perform better.
I have a 70mm t/b for my '02 from FRPP & it works just fine. Had I waited one more week I'd have gotten a 75mm from Accufab, but I didn't. As it is, FRPP is not crap & they offer more than a 68mm t/b.
Wow, once again, someone putting words into my mouth. I never said it was crap, it works fine, but any other throttle body out performs it. Its dyno proven at the C&L website. And yes, the 70mm TB is actually more like 68mm. MD has tested it and compared it to other 70mm TBs.

"Its not a true 70mm throttle body, more like 68mm and its a poor design. I've got one now and I've worked it as much as can be done - its better than it was but probably not as good as a BBK or Accufab - unworked their the worst out there. Its not the same size all the way through - the back where the butterfly is 70mm but the front where the intake tube goes on is only 68mm. Its "ok", but not worth paying more than $50 for"

Quoted from MDvaldosta. And trust me, he knows his ****.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:15 PM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

acer... whats this about a MAM only adding 3hp ... the MAM will add WAY more than 3 HP.... i think if u get e tunable induction w the MAM ur seeing gains of about 15+ to the wheels... if u get it wouht the MAM its more like 8 HP... so basically the MAM doubles the HP that the intake will give in that situation...
Old 01-17-2005, 11:23 PM
eviper88

Sorry for not replying, i have been busy studying for midterms. Well, i would save up for a s/c but i cant really wait that long. I only work at WaWa and make 7.50 an hour... soo that would take a while. Plus, i also want to spend some money on things like rims and audio system too. But the performance comes first. Ok, about the gears, I was thinking that i should go with the 3.73's because wouldn't the 4.10's eat too much gas? Thats what i heard. I don't go the track too often, I just mainly want performance for that feel. Oh and of course for that "occasional" light race (within the speed limit of course...). Then I was thinking about doing the exhaust. I was thinking about doin the cat back and an o/r x pipie. What exactly are headers and what's the difference between long, short, and normal ones? As you can see, I'm very new to the whole car tech thing. Is SPL or Magnapacks better? I'm more looking for a deep sound, not too throaty or anything. And what exactly is a MAM and a t/b? haha

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:35 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

id go with the 4:10s if you have an auto..it 5sp id go with the 3:73s..long tube headers put out more power over short tube but if your wanting to keep a buget of 1500 bucks between audio and rims then the best bang for the buck would be gears..id worrie about exhaust whenever you get right at $1000 you can spend strickly on your exhaust system cause thats right at what its going to cost for a full one..maybe a couple hundred more
Old 01-17-2005, 11:37 PM
eviper88

yeah i have an auto. If I get the chance, should i trade my auto in for a manual? Or would it not be worth it? Is auto really that bad?

I have a black 01 GT auto.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:42 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

na if you have an auto..id keep that...i wouldnt get into conversions or worring about trading it in on one..auto is not that bad

Quick Reply: New -- Need Help with some first mods