4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Magnaflow catback install issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 09:40 PM
0365gt

Default Magnaflow catback install issues...

Anybody else have a problem with lack of clearance with the tailpipes. There is little space to either side at the top of the tailpipe over the axle, maybe a quarter inch each side. But my main problem is right behind the axle the tailpipe is hitting the sway bar over bumps. There is at least an inch of clearance. I've tried to adjust it a couple times now but can't seem to get itright. Anybody else have this problem or have any suggestions. I'm getting frustrated and could really use some advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:21 AM
0365gt

Default RE: Magnaflow catback install issues...

Bump...nobody has had this problem?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Hyper00
3rd Gear Member

Are yo installing the cat-back or still removing the stock?

If installing the cat-back, you just have topuzzle it through. It will fit.
If still removing, it would benefit you to just cut it out.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:02 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 0365gt

Anybody else have a problem with lack of clearance with the tailpipes. There is little space to either side at the top of the tailpipe over the axle, maybe a quarter inch each side. But my main problem is right behind the axle the tailpipe is hitting the sway bar over bumps. There is at least an inch of clearance. I've tried to adjust it a couple times now but can't seem to get it right. Anybody else have this problem or have any suggestions. I'm getting frustrated and could really use some advice. Thanks in advance.
Similar problem here with my Magnaflow catback 15671. What you have to do is loosen everything and start turning the pipes, mufflers etc in different
directions until you get the most clearance in the rear.
The idea is to get the mufflers flat and parallel to the ground and then move the tail pipe in or out or turn it left or right (depending) to get the clearance.
Mine still hits something once in a while going over big bumps. I suspect it is the stabilizer bar.

I'm getting subframes put on next month and I'm going to have the shop align the exhaust while the car is on the rack.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:35 PM
0365gt

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

Similar problem here with my Magnaflow catback 15671. What you have to do is loosen everything and start turning the pipes, mufflers etc in different
directions until you get the most clearance in the rear.
The idea is to get the mufflers flat and parallel to the ground and then move the tail pipe in or out or turn it left or right (depending) to get the clearance.
Mine still hits something once in a while going over big bumps. I suspect it is the stabilizer bar.

I'm getting subframes put on next month and I'm going to have the shop align the exhaust while the car is on the rack.

Thats probably what I'm going to do. I'm going to slide the muffler as far back as I can on the intermidiate pipe, then push everything as far back as possible from there. I hope it works.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:32 PM
shewter15

I have had similar problems with my magnaflow exhaust. I have adjusted the exhaust a couple of times already and it seems to no longer hit for a couple weeks and then eventually it starts clanging around back there. I think the u-bolts used with this kit allow the exhaust to shift just enought over a period of driving the vehicle that it finally starts hitting things. I am going to tack the exhaust into place and see if that helps. Have you just used the clamps or added some welding to the mix?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:24 PM
0365gt

I haven't done any welding yet but if I get it to a point where I think it is clear of everything and clank free I might get it weld to keep it there.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:00 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shewter15

I have had similar problems with my magnaflow exhaust. I have adjusted the exhaust a couple of times already and it seems to no longer hit for a couple weeks and then eventually it starts clanging around back there. I think the u-bolts used with this kit allow the exhaust to shift just enought over a period of driving the vehicle that it finally starts hitting things. I am going to tack the exhaust into place and see if that helps. Have you just used the clamps or added some welding to the mix?
I think you are correct about this because I have adjusted this thing several times, all clamps are tight and yet a couple of weeks down the road I hear funny noises again.

I was wondering if putting those "band clamps" on instead of the u-clamps might help?
I don't want to weld because I might move over to Bassani at some point.