4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Spring rate for handling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:29 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

Default Spring rate for handling?

I am looking into doing coil overs on the front end of my car and I don't know too much about spring rate. I found spring rates anywhere form 150 lb/in up to 400 lb/in.

What would be the ideal spring rate?

I am going for all out handling and do not plan on dragging the car after the full suspension. I would like decent ride quality, but handling is my top pridority. This is 99% street driven except for a few trips to the road track after the suspension.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:35 PM
DeltaV
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Spring rate for handling?

For drag strip applications, i'm pretty sure you want a stiffer spring in the front 200 lb'ers and upto transfer the weight to the back tires. For road racing, i would use 150's.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:38 PM
StealthGT2V
2nd Gear Member

I would check out the Ford C springs if I were you, or even the Bullit Upgrade Suspension package from Ford Racing..They will allow for a comfortable ride and some nice cornering...But I believe the C springs run about 650lb/250lbs and the bullits are a little less...THe Bullit suspension kit also comes with bigger sway bars and custom valved tokico shocks and struts.

I would prob go with C springs or Steedas with some KYB adj struts and shocks....or the whole bullit suspension upgrade...it depends on your money situation...

If I had money I would eventually go for a whole coil over set up with a tubular k member, but money is an issue...Good luck
Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 PM
chewie
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DeltaV

For drag strip applications, i'm pretty sure you want a stiffer spring in the front 200 lb'ers and upto transfer the weight to the back tires. For road racing, i would use 150's.
You have it reversed. It all depends on your car, but in general, 175 or 150frontsare used in drag racing. Road racing requires much stiffer rates, especially on the Mustang which has a bad tendency to understeerin stock format.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:04 PM
chewie
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmac72187

I am looking into doing coil overs on the front end of my car and I don't know too much about spring rate. I found spring rates anywhere form 150 lb/in up to 400 lb/in.

What would be the ideal spring rate?

I am going for all out handling and do not plan on dragging the car after the full suspension. I would like decent ride quality, but handling is my top pridority. This is 99% street driven except for a few trips to the road track after the suspension.
If this is going to be nothing more than a "weekend auto-x warrior"and mainly a street driver car, save your money. By looking at your sig, I see you already have the "C' springs. Get yourself some sub-connectors if you don't have any. Keep the "C" springs (they have good rates for a weekend warrior/daily) and purchase some Bilsteins or if you want adjustability fork over the dough for some Koni's...you will NOT be disappointed. Whatever you do, DO NOT put poly bushings in the UCA's. The Mustang 4-link binds as it is in a "road-racing" format. Poly bushings for LCA's, front A-arms, front sway bar, Maximum Motorsports aluminum steering bushings,some decent C/C plates, and go and have fun. Get SEAT TIME, SEAT TIME, SEAT TIME on the trackin the car, as that is the best "mod" in the world (called the "driver mod" ). Does you no good to have all the "goodies" if you can't take advantage of them, plus it empties your wallet.

After, if you feel you can outdrive the car at its' limits and want to get more serious in the "auto-x" or club road racing circut, invest in other goodies. Depending which class you want to run, regulates the mods allowed.

This will give you a good "handling" car without killing you on the street and most importantly it will still be fun to drive EVERYDAY.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:18 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

I want a really good handling street car. Ride quality is not a major issue. Two of my friends drive an S2000 and an RX8. I don't care if I am faster really. I can pull on them in a straight but I want to be able to handle near them. I love the way my friends S2000 handles.

I plan on going with the Maximum motorsports Road and Track box but I will be running front coil overs and eventually rear coilovers rather than the normal set up. I am going to be picking up those parts over time though.

I am going to do front coilovers and shocks/struts and then continue on with SFC's and other things until I reach the handling I want.