4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

guys whats wrong with my stang

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 10:14 PM
fausty
4th Gear Member

Default guys whats wrong with my stang

well ive been having some ticking which i assume its an exhaust leak but the real problem is when i accelerate the car hard....couple of months back i had to repair a piston due to an over rev that had happened by mistake..well since then i havnt really ran my car hard but the other night i toook of from first and it ran normal but after wen i slowed down my engine felt as if it were bogging or like different the rpms werent normal u could feel a weird vibration n noise but after a few minutes the engine goes back to its normal state..what could this be guys?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:02 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: guys whats wrong with my stang

you mean like you slowed down to a stop and it bogged down and returned to normal?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 AM
fausty
4th Gear Member

yea i was next to a camaro in 1st and i took off shifted to second and caught a red light. when i slowed down to stop and came to a complete stop the car started acting weird like how it felt when it broke the piston but after when i left the light it kinda just shut up and went back to normal...any of you guys have any idea what this is ...and the ticking noise is coming from the front botom of the car
Old 07-23-2007, 02:55 PM
fausty
4th Gear Member

bump....anyone?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

You should really pull your plugs & have a look to begin with.

As for the tick - take a long screw driver and while the engine is running, stick it on different parts of the engine and you can pin point if it's something internal or not. You'll hear injectors & the rockers,..rev up the engine gradually & listen for significant changes in tone & such...

As for the bog, did you actually see the RPM's drop or anything? Don't try to troubleshoot too many symptoms at once. Try to locate the noise first & then pull your plugs.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Othic
2nd Gear Member

Try taking all the Ford emblems off and see if that helps. : )
Old 07-23-2007, 03:34 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

The ticking sounds like a spun bearing. Check your oil for metal shavings even though they wont always be there in the case of spun bearings.

If you were coming to a stop and the rpms dropped it could be the IAC. Clean it.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:05 PM
fausty
4th Gear Member

im going to try that n pull the plugs...the rpms when the engione bogged went up and down but not drastically..how much woould a spun bearing cost to repair?thanks for the replys
Old 07-23-2007, 05:01 PM
slow99GT
3rd Gear Member

umm trade it in and get a new one LOL.... but check the plugs
Old 07-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: fausty

im going to try that n pull the plugs...the rpms when the engione bogged went up and down but not drastically..how much woould a spun bearing cost to repair?thanks for the replys
Unfortunately, you don't want to do what you did the first time & just band-aid it back together.

It's always best to do a full bottom-end rebuild whenever you have any sort of failure, it's cheap insurance & it's a lot easier to feel good about it after knowing it was done properly...

Don't figure for the worst yet. Do the little things first.

Quick Reply: guys whats wrong with my stang