4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

automatic trans

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Ineedamustang

Default automatic trans

if i was to put in a auto in my 02 gt would i have to get a new computer to and what else.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:24 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: automatic trans

first question- what?? what and why?? the GT Automatic tranny is trash. Stick with your 5 speed and upgrade your clutch and other parts. In order to make an automatic fast you need $2,000+ in parts and labor sometimes in excess of $5,000. As for your question, yes. Your computer wont tell your transmission to shift because its programmed for a standard. To be honest, the cost of the swap isnt worth it. Youd be better off trading for an auto mustang if thats what you want
Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

first question- what?? what and why?? the GT Automatic tranny is trash. Stick with your 5 speed and upgrade your clutch and other parts. In order to make an automatic fast you need $2,000+ in parts and labor sometimes in excess of $5,000. As for your question, yes. Your computer wont tell your transmission to shift because its programmed for a standard. To be honest, the cost of the swap isnt worth it. Youd be better off trading for an auto mustang if thats what you want
You are funny. Explain please
Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

You are funny. Explain please
+1, a good stall and a shift kit will beat most manuals, and that's not $2000+
Old 07-30-2007, 08:02 PM
clix813
4th Gear Member

Umm I think you have that the wrong way around. I hear more people complaining about them breaking syncros on there 5 speeds. I have beat the hell out of my tranny and have had the slightest problem with it.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 PM
massmustang02
3rd Gear Member

The autos for mustangs are very strong. Nothing a torque converter and shift kit wouldn't help. I know of some people who dropped auto's into cobras and built those autos up to bulletproof standards.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Ineedamustang

then if i was to build my trans does anyone know of a place in Il near chicago that will do it. the only reason i am asking about switching trans is becuase my car now when i floor it in 1st and put the clutch in to go to second it feels like the clutch is dragging anddoesnt go into gear but after about 2seconds it will go into gear. i have a centerforce clutch. i was told that it is my quad cable i need to put the bbk one in and adjust the clutch?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ineedamustang

then if i was to build my trans does anyone know of a place in Il near chicago that will do it. the only reason i am asking about switching trans is becuase my car now when i floor it in 1st and put the clutch in to go to second it feels like the clutch is dragging anddoesnt go into gear but after about 2seconds it will go into gear. i have a centerforce clutch. i was told that it is my quad cable i need to put the bbk one in and adjust the clutch?
So wait.... You are wanting to trade your fuked up tranny for mine? You can keep it homie.....

If this is really what you are trying to do i suggest you do not come back to this site..... I was just thinking you didnt enjoy your 5 speed and that was the only reason you wanted to trade.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:55 PM
Ineedamustang

i wasnt even gonna trade u "homie" so u can shut ur mouth but anyways i was asking a question about it.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ineedamustang

i wasnt even gonna trade u "homie" so u can shut ur mouth but anyways i was asking a question about it.
Thats why you exchanged 3-4 pms about doing so even about where you live and such 'homie'?

Alot of times i really wonder about the age group on these forums

Quick Reply: automatic trans