4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmissions and LT's

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Default Transmissions and LT's

I got to use a local lift today and me and my friend tore into my car with the attempts of getting the transmission out.

First off, the bell housing bolts were a bitch to get out.. I had to craw around out on top of the motor to get the top 2 out.

But the worst part was when we got everything loose and realized It was not going to come out with the passenger side header on. The place where the starter mounts on the transmission was catching against a header tube...

I tried everything I knew to do to get the transmission to slide back just enough to let the input shaft come out so it could be moved left and right.. We got it back far enough that only the clutch fingers was catching the shaft.

I was about to give up but then just took all the clutch bolts loose and let the clutch fall into the transmission. Now I could move the transmission far enough to the drivers side to ease it out around the headers..

Now.. While my transmission is getting fixed (2nd gear grind) I have to figure out the best way to get the thing back in.

I'm pretty sure the passenger side header has to come off..

Check out these bolts; any advice on getting them off

There is hardly any room in between the K member and cylinder 2's header bolts..

Here is the clutch that came out of it.... looks factory to me.. Think I'm going to put a spec stage 2 in it

Any advice?
Old 07-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Transmissions and LT's

Old 07-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

da da da bump
Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 PM
prochargedGT
3rd Gear Member

your supposed to take off your k member and take off the passenger side headers....and yes i would do a new clutch and while your at it if you have the dough, buy a flywheel...i prefer fiodanza thats what i have in my car...i bought the 4.3 and got the aluminum flywheel and after it broke in...the rpm's climed faster. but make sure you have someone to help you when you put it in b/c htey are a bitsch!
Old 07-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

hmmm.... Well I got the transmission out now, all I have to do is get it back in with a new clutch.

I'm going to try to get the header unbolted, maybe it will swing out far enough to let me slide the transmission in...
Old 07-31-2007, 11:55 PM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

those are stage 8 locking header bolts. you'll have to remove the C-clip and then the V shaped piece of metal pull right off.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

then remove the bolt with either and allen or socket wrench.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Cool... thanks...

any tips on getting the transmission back in? The passenger side header is going to be in the way. I think it will have enough clearence if I can just unbolt that header so it can swing over, but i'm not sure.

any help?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 PM
importkiller89
1st Gear Member

the bell housing comes off the trans that should help
Old 08-01-2007, 02:51 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

on a 3650? The bellhousing bolts go from the inside out.. I actually thought about seeing if I could take the bellhousing off then run the bolts from the outside in ...
Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 PM
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member

Depends on your headers, but my shop said they just got a guy on each side and pulled them wide so they could drop it out. Give it a try.

Quick Reply: Transmissions and LT's