4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New GT Needs Work!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 12:11 AM
gdear66
2nd Gear Member

Default New GT Needs Work!!!

Definitely do the gears, but do your research first. I am finding its a little more than just slapping in a ring and pinion. Then hit the exhaust. The intake is actually pretty good stock but the stock exhaust is definitely restrictive, then work the intake over. I also strongly recommend a new set of pulleys and a short throw shifter. The car will really liven up and it gets alot more fun to drive with the shifter (its also an easy install).
Old 09-12-2003, 12:26 AM
03SVTcobraa
2nd Gear Member

If you are wanting to save, or even improve gas milage, then work with the exhaust and intake parts of the motor. If you have the money, a vortech supercharger would help plenty to give you the power you want, and actually increase your gas milage while driving it in normal conditions. Great power adder. Just don't go with nitrous. Stay away from that crap, in my honest opinion. You're at higher risk with that crap. </P>
Old 09-12-2003, 12:38 AM
L.H.Wyatt

thanks, the 96 gt already has an h-pipe and 2 chamber flows, it had an x-pipe, but the guy took it offf, said it was too loud..yes it is a 5 speedand i admit that i am not exactly the smartest person when it comes to motors, but the guys is helping me out teaching me some stuff, my friend has a car that is fixed up nice, he is helping me with all this, im not doing it all myself so...im not really getting in over my head...
Old 09-12-2003, 12:45 AM
jBrandtGT
1st Gear Member

how about a new ignition, u/d pullies and a chip? I hear one of those plasma boosters for ur ignition can give u like 10 horses
Old 09-12-2003, 02:36 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 03SVTcobraa

If you are wanting to save, or even improve gas milage, then work with the exhaust and intake parts of the motor. If you have the money, a vortech supercharger would help plenty to give you the power you want, and actually increase your gas milage while driving it in normal conditions. Great power adder. Just don't go with nitrous. Stay away from that crap, in my honest opinion. You're at higher risk with that crap. </P>

</P>

In my honest opinion, nitrous is 939898312x's better for a daily driver, wear wise.</P>
Old 09-12-2003, 02:39 AM
L.H.Wyatt

what do you mean i would be at high risk?
Old 09-12-2003, 02:46 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

L.H. Wyatt</P>

If you do not do the STANDARD proceedure's for running Nitrous, it's very easy to grenade a spanking new motor. But, the same goes for a supercharger.</P>

Colder plugs, retard timing, richening fuel mixture (this is why WET kits are the way to go). Do those very simple things, and you will go through tons of bottles without hurting your motor.</P>
Old 09-12-2003, 03:43 AM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

nos 08100 kit... check it out</P>

</P>
Old 09-12-2003, 03:46 AM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

saving for it now</P>

</P>
Old 09-12-2003, 03:58 AM
L.H.Wyatt

im not interested in nos at all, this car is gotto last me lol, its not going to be used just for racing, i mean i'd like it to go fast but keep from having to work on the motor all the time...i just wanted to see what i could do, simple things here and there, just to get me above average, my friend has a blower on his 96 cobra, i dont know what all thats about...but... anyways...

Quick Reply: New GT Needs Work!!!