4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

manually shifting my auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: manually shifting my auto

ORIGINAL: devore86

or also referred to as a power break......thnks
Isnt a power break a candy bar?

And yes revving your engine in neutral and then shifting it into drive is probably the stupidest thing you could do.... What would even make you think that was a good idea?

Keep it up and you will be buying a new tranny very soon.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

just like to add, acording to my running, the D2 shift is good for .2 in the quarter and 1 mph trap
Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

just keep your car in D and you'll see your best time slips. dont even bother manually shifting a auto.

[/align]
Old 08-21-2007, 12:13 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: devore86

I just want to know how bad it is to revv my engine while in N and then shift it into D??????...........i know its probably not good but i just want feedback

thanks
It's known as a "neutral drop".
If you're lucky you will snap a u-joint. (Cheap part to replace)
If you're not lucky you will destroy your tranny real fast. (Expensive part)

IOW, don't do it.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:49 AM
rwboring

I had a fool try to shift their SSEI in a race against me one time... pust to far and got into reverse... he was lucky that electronic trannys dont actually go into gear like the old styles! just seems to be asking for more trouble... thats why they make programmers!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:30 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rwboring

I had a fool try to shift their SSEI in a race against me one time... pust to far and got into reverse... he was lucky that electronic trannys dont actually go into gear like the old styles! just seems to be asking for more trouble... thats why they make programmers!!!
+1 my g/f did that in a parking lot.. reving the engine and then threw it into reverse at about 10mph... heard a loud clunk the car jerked and that was that, car acted like it was in neutral. had her park, checked all the gears, all of them worked fine. and 30 minutes later when i was on the couch watching tv, she finally got home from that 2 mile walk.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:32 PM
shaun12
2nd Gear Member

yea, bad idea....but have fun doing it.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:18 PM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

It's called a "neutral drop" (as already mentoned) or a "neutral slam". It's something 16 year olds typically do until they learn the hard way that broken parts cost $$. I had a friend in high school that used to do that alot in his V6 Cutlass. One day he was walking and I picked him up and got the story.

Turns out he did a nice hard one and not only did he tera up his driveshaft, but the entire rearend of the car popped loose and turned sideways under the car. Needless to say, it was embarrassing and expensive.

Oh, yes, and it will also tear up your trans, motor mounts, trans mount, u-joints, etc. etc. Not a good idea. It also generally doesn't do a thing for you acceleration wise.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:34 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrChubs1

It's called a "neutral drop" (as already mentoned) or a "neutral slam". It's something 16 year olds typically do until they learn the hard way that broken parts cost $$. I had a friend in high school that used to do that alot in his V6 Cutlass. One day he was walking and I picked him up and got the story.

Turns out he did a nice hard one and not only did he tera up his driveshaft, but the entire rearend of the car popped loose and turned sideways under the car. Needless to say, it was embarrassing and expensive.

Oh, yes, and it will also tear up your trans, motor mounts, trans mount, u-joints, etc. etc. Not a good idea. It also generally doesn't do a thing for you acceleration wise.
i think they do it more for appearance. put it in neutral and rev it = cool to them but it also = spun bearing and when they drop it in drive (trying to appear that they have a clutch) they get the tire squealing start they wanted, but youll be lucky if you get through it with only minor wear/tear/damage.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

just get a manual!

Quick Reply: manually shifting my auto