4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which exhaust to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:04 PM
BeeRad

Default RE: Which exhaust to buy?

I like flowmaster 40s and o/r prochamber h-pipe, which is also what I have on my car. I also like the way the bassani o/r h-pipe and muffers sound. You might want to look on youtube for exhaust vids. Gives you a good idea of what your looking for.

Heres a couple of links from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv5tLVuaKt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvjftE7JHm8

These both sound amazing imo, but you should look around for some more vids to be sure you know what you want.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

www. mustangworld. com/forums/showthread.php?t=364393
take this spaces out, this should work.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:58 PM
g0lden
1st Gear Member

Basani! End of story

D
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

Are you looking to put just a c/b on or a midpipe also?
I suggest doing alot of research and listening to clips so you can decide what you like best. I spent a good month or so trying to decide what setup I wanted. I ended up going with MRT catted h and SLP LM1 catback, it sounds awesome but its a bit too loud for me so I ordered up some lm2's. If it's too loud for me, an 18 y/o kid, then it must be pretty fookin loud. Are you looking to put just a c/b on or a midpipe also?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 PM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

I highly recommend MAC pro-chamber with Magnaflow cat-backs if you are looking for great low tone, no interior resonance on free-way and controllable volume and high quality welds and bends and looks. If you click on my sig link under the mods section on my lo-budget website it will link you to a sound clip of my setup if that helps @ all.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 PM
mustang_marine8762
2nd Gear Member

SLP all the way. Excellent!!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 06:56 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I just bought a set of Macs off eBay for $313 with free shipping. Seems like a pretty good deal, and in my price range. http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-...m=300129079910
The picture shows an exhaust with turned down tips, but it appears to be a genric pic, do the MACs come with turned down tips or straight out the back?

If they are turned down, I'll cut them off and add straight out the back tips.

Lynn
Old 08-26-2007, 09:11 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman5089

Are you looking to put just a c/b on or a midpipe also?
I suggest doing alot of research and listening to clips so you can decide what you like best. I spent a good month or so trying to decide what setup I wanted. I ended up going with MRT catted h and SLP LM1 catback, it sounds awesome but its a bit too loud for me so I ordered up some lm2's. If it's too loud for me, an 18 y/o kid, then it must be pretty fookin loud. Are you looking to put just a c/b on or a midpipe also?
+1
I'm a 47yo old fart and the LM1 is LOUD!!
You'll probably like the LM2 which is much tamer, but for me still too loud but not obnoxious.
I grew up in the muscle car era and back then, obnoxiously loud was just not cool unless it was at the track.
At least where I live, at the local car shows if a car pulls in with a super loud exhaust people look at the
guy like WTF?
Good sounding exhaust doesn't have to be obnoxiously loud IMHO.
Listen to the movie Bullitt with Steve McQueen for details.
IMHO the Dodge exhaust sounds slightly better, but the Mustang is great as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:19 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

mustangexhaust.com may or may not work, its been iffy at best lately. I like my magnapacks, different aggresive sound instead of raspy and weak....or Borla sounds good to
Yea, Nino switched providers for the site and a lot of stuff got lost. He is working on getting the sound files back up according to the board.

FWIW I purchased my Magnaflow catback from Ninosport and it came in 2 days.
It was missing one of the flow tubes however but a quick call and they sent both flow tubes with a pre-paid return for the one I didn't need.
They sent both because I couldn't tell which one I needed.
They followed up with 2 emails and on top of that they called me on the phone to make sure everything was ok.
Best customer service I have had in years.
YMMV but I highly reccomend them, and I am not in any way associated with Ninosport I am just a happy customer.

As for my Magnaflow catback I love it. It does drone at 2k under load (going up hills etc) but from what I've read my vert is
basically the problem because the back is a gigantic empty chamber and acts like a bass drum amplifying exhaust noise.
I put a set of Bassani Baffles in for long trips and it has helped a lot. A good side effect of the baffles is that the
Magnaflow "blatty sound at 2500 RPM" is almost gone and the exhaust sounds much smoother overall.
A lot of people like that sound though, I'm mixed on it personally. Every Magnaflow system I have heard does it for some
reason. Just the nature of the beast I guess.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:57 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

undecided.steve- I can't believe that your Magaflows drone. That was one of my biggest criteria was I would not tolerate any drone. I wonder if my O/R MAC midpipe helps cut down drone. The car I had prior to my GT droned with custom exhaust and I have a complete Magnaflow system on my 99 Suburban and IT DOES drone badly but it's a completely different system that the GTs of course.

There is a dude @ work who has the Maganapacks welded in (not complete system) and I do not care for the sound one bit. Sounds like an old Navy aircraft with an exhaust leak. To each his own!

Quick Reply: Which exhaust to buy?