4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Header install

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:14 AM
thundermg1

Default Header install

I'm finally going to do something that I've been putting off for awhile, install a set of short tube headers on my 04.
Anyone have any tricks or tips on this? Not alot of room in there to work. Figured I'd go ahead and get some locking bolts while I'm at it so I dont have to come back later and re-tighten everything.
Has anyone had any good luck or horror stories concerning a certain brand?
Old 08-21-2007, 04:41 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Header install

Leave the stock studs in the heads and reuse the stock nuts. They are locking nuts and will not back off. I've had longtubes on my car for two years and never blown a gasket or retightened the nuts. The studs make the install easier also. No need to waste your money on aftermarket locking bolts, the factory stuff works great.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:33 AM
StangEatsRice
3rd Gear Member

I am also looking to do a set of shorties which have been sittin around. I have read that you will be having to jack the passenger side of the engine up a couple inches and i was told to plan on removing the k-member from the start. My car is a little older than yours and i don't ever want to have to touch my headers again to i went with the cheaper percy's gaskets and a set of locking bolts.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:09 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Header install is alot of work for 1 or 2 hp gain with the shorties. Sell them and get longtubes then the work will be worth it.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:53 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

You can get them on without droping the K-member but droping it makes things a lot easier. + 1 on the longtubes.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 AM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

You can get them on without droping the K-member but droping it makes things a lot easier. + 1 on the longtubes.
I didn't drop the k member when i put my longtubes on, it sucked, I hated it, but was glad I did it. It took me about 7 days to do it. I worked one whole weekend and then 3 or 4 hours a night after that to get it all finished up. I also put my H pipe in and made my own 02 simulators and extensions. And I had to deal with some fitment issues between the H pipe and the cat back. I am curious as to why you guys went with the shorty headers? I really dont think they would be any easier to install personally, the hardest part is getting the header bolts started and tightened. Good luck on the install though, and remember to take all your guns and sharp objects out of your house and buy plenty of beer and you should be set... lol.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I dropped my k when I installedmy longtubesand it took me 7 hours to do them the first time. This past weekend I took them off to put in new gaskets and bolts in about 2 hours without dropping the k but I do have a tubed K
Old 08-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Pest007
2nd Gear Member

Long tubes don't always work for every person's Situation people, yes we all know that LT make more HP, but shorties are still better than stock manifold.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:58 AM
carlos

So what kind of mods do you need in order to get the best out of the LT?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:12 PM
03mustgt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pest007

Long tubes don't always work for every person's Situation people, yes we all know that LT make more HP, but shorties are still better than stock manifold.
Agreed that shorties are better than stock, but i dont understand going through all that work just to put the shorties on. Carlos Longtubes perform well with any mods, obviously a supercharger will benefit more than your typical NA motor.

Quick Reply: Header install