4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

weird noise can i get some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 07:04 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default weird noise can i get some help

When I am driving with the windows down very slowly, where I can hear my car without the wind or exhaust or road noise, I hear something that sounds like a very frequent "shht shht shht" and i think its coming from my brakes or wheels/tires area. Its something rotating because the sound speeds up as I speed up. Maybe my brake pads?? I dont know. I haven't heard it on my car before so maybe something is wrong? Or is this natural? It sounds like something on metal. metal sounds.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 07:50 PM
REDSTALION
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: weird noise can i get some help

i got the same sound, it sounds like its coming from one of the paddles, its like a metal to metal grinding.
i don't know what it is or it source...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Ovalevader

Yep, sounds like the pads...get them done as soon as possible before you ruin your rotors. Just to confirm, does it go away when you tap the brake pedal very lightly?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:01 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVT

i got the same sound, it sounds like its coming from one of the paddles, its like a metal to metal grinding.
i don't know what it is or it source...
Exactly, something like that.

And yes it seems to go away when I accelerate (maybe just cuz I cant hear it anymore with the exhaust ) or when I brake. It just makes the sound when I'm kinda rolling down the road very slow, say when I'm pulling out of the drive way. So you think my pads need changing and this should go away?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:05 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

It sounds like warped rotors to me. I had the same sound coming from the rear of my car. I changed my rotors last weekend and havent heard it since.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Ovalevader

you should just be able to get the rotors turned and new pads and all will be well.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:19 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Yea its this weird scraping sound.... is there anyway to make sure, how can I check if my pads are ready to be switched? I hope its just the pads. I'll try that. Thanks. Any recommendations on pads to buy?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

sorry to tell you man but im having the same problem and its a bent axle for me. when my car was in the air it didnt do it...only on the ground
Old 08-24-2007, 05:19 AM
Ovalevader

You can check the pads simply by looking at them...if there isn't much material left, get them done. You should be able to feel some pulsating in the brakes under hard braking and thats a tell tale sign its the brakes and not something more serious...
Old 08-24-2007, 10:02 AM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Bent axle? ahhhhhhhh.
Well here is some more information: lately when I have been braking it hasn't been as smooth as before. For example when I'm braking moderately hard going down a hill, its like I can really FEEL like brakes. Its strange. I can feel the brakes and it doesn't feel smooth at all when I'm braking. Its like scraping. sounds. Does this still sound like the situation?

Quick Reply: weird noise can i get some help