4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

squealing pulley

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Default RE: squealing pulley

guys, this sound of a squealing engine is annoying me so much. Should I take it into a shop to have someone else figure out what to do. I swapped the pulley I thought was squealing and its still doing it.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

You previously stated that the sound goes away, (or gets quieter), when the A/C is off. Have you considered the a/c clutch/bearing assembly?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:01 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Hmm never considered that. That is a possibility. Thanks. I just dont get it because right when I sprayed the pulley I thought it was with WD40 it went away IMMEDIATELY. So I thought for sure it was that pulley.... I just dont want to have to replace every pulley/assembly/belt in the engine for it to stop. I already wasted money on those two pulleys that were probably less quality than OEM.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: handyandy

Hmm never considered that. That is a possibility. Thanks. I just dont get it because right when I sprayed the pulley I thought it was with WD40 it went away IMMEDIATELY. So I thought for sure it was that pulley.... I just dont want to have to replace every pulley/assembly/belt in the engine for it to stop. I already wasted money on those two pulleys that were probably less quality than OEM.
I completely understand that.

You may want to try and put the car on ramps, remove the belt and turn each pulley/accessory by hand to see if you can feel any resistance, play or abnormalities in them.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:48 PM
handyandy
4th Gear Member

Thanks, thats a good idea. I have a lil more information too. Since I replaced those two pulleys the squealing has really only started coming on at about 2200 rpm and on up. Idling sqealing is no more, but it still does under acceleration and from 2200+ rpm. I dunno if that means anything, but I hope I figure this out soon.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Firestrike87

I hate to bump this back up but did you ever figure this out? I'm haveing a similar squealing sound and I've searched all over the internet with no real answers. Any follow up?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:58 PM
adam_ferguson
2nd Gear Member

i have delt with a few squeaky pullies. try touching each one w/ a screwdriver while the engine is running. this will cahnge the load condition and hopefully locate your bad pully.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:05 PM
98F150/GT
2nd Gear Member

mine was squealing and i took the idler pulley off and greased it up. stopped squealing for a few days until i was able to get a new one. try that on the other pulleys maybe?? another thing, my alternator squealed horribly on my 4.6 pick up and you could spray any pulley with wd and it would stop. (just athought)
Old 01-23-2008, 08:14 PM
fruhdaddy
3rd Gear Member

the bearing is probably shot in it...they are only a few dollars from autozone just change it
Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Firestrike87

ORIGINAL: 98F150/GT

mine was squealing and i took the idler pulley off and greased it up. stopped squealing for a few days until i was able to get a new one. try that on the other pulleys maybe?? another thing, my alternator squealed horribly on my 4.6 pick up and you could spray any pulley with wd and it would stop. (just athought)
I actually did spray my alternator pulley with WD-40 and the sound did change but the bearing sounds fine. I used a stethescope and screwdriver to listen to it and the pulley doesn't seem wierd. The car does have 150,000 though, could it still be bad?

Quick Reply: squealing pulley