4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:11 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: oil

i use motorcraft 5w20 synth. the place i go to for my oil changes, the guy told me to use 5w20 cause it's what for recommends and to just use motorcrafft. said there's no difference between it and mobile oil, except about a $20 difference in price to put that in.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:35 AM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

I Don't think you can go wrong with any name brand synthetic. Also when you go to a web site saying theirs is the best the test is biased. They all will say theirs is the best. I change every 3k and I can tell you any of the above synthetics will not be broken down. So I use Mobile-1 5-30 Full Synthetic. No conventional, No blends.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: snlpa

I Don't think you can go wrong with any name brand synthetic. Also when you go to a web site saying theirs is the best the test is biased. They all will say theirs is the best. I change every 3k and I can tell you any of the above synthetics will not be broken down. So I use Mobile-1 5-30 Full Synthetic. No conventional, No blends.
I pretty much agree, but still want to use what I think is the best. And, you are abosultely right about the blends. I noticed a difference going from Amsoil to redline. But, that is just me. You guys can make up your own minds. Most major brand name petroleum oils perform adequately provided your driving conditions are normal and provided you change the oil regularly (remember, short city trips, driver’s ed track events, dusty conditions, and towing are considered extreme). Over the counter additives have been proven to be of little to no benefit, often do more harm than good, and are a waste of money regardless of what you drive and how you drive it. Finally, for those of you who drive your vehicle hard, tow a trailer, drive very short distances, sit idling and in stop & go traffic for long periods, live in a cold climate and/or if your car runs hot, quality synthetic motor oil, synthetic gear lube, and synthetic automatic transmission fluid is a wise investment that will provide the additional protection you require as well as last thousands of miles longer than conventional lubricants. The added benefit of synthetic oils, is that you don't need to change your oil so often. Gone are the days of changing oil every 3,000 miles. First of all, Ford recommends a dino oil change every 5,000 miles. But with synthetic, you can push that to 7,000 or more. So, the cost works out to be about the same as dino oil.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:30 PM
snlpa
2nd Gear Member

Hey soaring one thing you forgot. Yes, you can go 7k on synthetic BUT most of us here run a K&N or simialar type of air filter. They let more dirt in the motor. Dirt=Death. Might even make the oil filter less effective or clog it. The oil won't brake down but the dirt will do the harm. So I say change it every 3k.

This info is just my opinion. I am afraid of that dirt.

I now know of two things that I like clean and lubed............................................. ..?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: snlpa

Hey soaring one thing you forgot. Yes, you can go 7k on synthetic BUT most of us here run a K&N or simialar type of air filter. They let more dirt in the motor. Dirt=Death. Might even make the oil filter less effective or clog it. The oil won't brake down but the dirt will do the harm. So I say change it every 3k.

This info is just my opinion. I am afraid of that dirt.

I now know of two things that I like clean and lubed............................................. ..?
Well, duhhhhh. Don't run those flimsy filters unless you are actually racing.
That's a no brainer. I like the 2nd choice of getting clean and lubed the best.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I use castrol syntec. Im not going to spend twice as much for royal purple unless I build a new engine then I will start from the get go using the best. Not only do you get dirt in through your air intake. But Gasoline is very dirty stuff. It doesnt burn cleanly it leaves carbon deposits which end up in your oil. So I change my oil every 3000 miles, if not sooner. Im worried about the crud in the oil, not the oil breaking down. Im trying to keep my bearings smooth and polished. Those little particles in your oil is like your block being extrude honed constantly just by the oil. Its not too expensive, changing your oil every 3000 miles is the best thing you can do to keep your engine healty.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:21 AM
ITALIANO66669
2nd Gear Member

why would you use straight 20 weight oil?the ford dealer says use 5w-20 because that is what ford recommends and 5w-30 is too thick in the long runjust use 5w-20 it is better the motor was built for it there is nothing wrong with it.i personally use royal purple 5w-20 it works and will decrease engine wear but as people claim there is NO performance improvement due to oil type or brand.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:53 AM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

what? the manual says use 5w30 , so how do u figure that ford recommends 5w20?
Old 02-12-2005, 03:21 AM
ITALIANO66669
2nd Gear Member

check the manual again the only ford engine period that still uses 5w-30 is the 4.0 v6 in explorer or 05 v6 mustang.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:29 AM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

no , mine specifically says use SAE 5w30 certified by the API... i think those are close to the exact words in the manual... i just looked ... maybe the fact that i live in cali accounts for the fact that it says use 30 instead of 20 ...

Quick Reply: oil