4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

burning oil?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:02 PM
street_fighterGT
1st Gear Member

Default burning oil?!?!

Okay here lately I've noticed that my car has been smoking a little. I just installed a BBK o/r x-pipe with flowmasters. I have MIL eliminators but havent installed them because I just got them this morning.
If I let the car sit at idle for a minute or two, like sitting at a stop light, when I rev it up to take off, a little puff of blue smoke comes out. The car runs fine and has plenty of power.The onlymods I have areexhaust, removed air silencer, and IAC mod. It just started smoking some right after I installed my exhaust. Well this morning I go to start her up to go to town, and it idles fine for a few seconds then cuts off. So I turn the key off, then try again. I had to give it some gas to keep it running and a huge cloud of blue smoke comes rolling out of the exhaust. I let off the gas and it idles fine. It seemed like it was choking out like a carburetor does. I drove it into to town and it runs fine. I cut it off at the store and go in to buy some dip. I come out and it fired right up and didnt smoke.
The car has 122,000 miles on the odometer and I've only put 4,000 miles on it. I just recently changed the oil and had no problems. The car doesnt have any leaks anywhere. The car does use some oil. I keep an eye on the oil level all the time and this is the first time I've encountered any problems. Oil pressure is normal and stays constant. Can anyone help me out here? Have any of you guys had this problem? The car is a 96' Mustang GT 5-speed. Do you think it is oil blow-by (where oil is getting into the combustion chamber and is burning because of damaged seals)?
I really need some help because like I said it all started when I installed the exhaust. I did everything right I just need to plug in my Steeda MIL eliminators. I dont give the car hell and dog the sh*t out of it.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:20 PM
ohthreeGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: burning oil?!?!

i have noticed some black smoke coming from mine after i did my of x pipe but mines just seeming like its a lil rich from not having the mil eliminators yet.

blue smoke is definatly oil. have you pulled a couple plugs yet to check them to see if they are oily?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:31 PM
street_fighterGT
1st Gear Member

No I have not checked my plugs yet. I really hope I dont have to rebuild the motor. I would really love to have a new/rebuilt motor so I can start fresh though but its all about the money.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 PM
ohthreeGT
1st Gear Member

id say pull the plugs and go from there. you can also do an oil change and look for shavings there.

and ive had great results from that stuff in the silver can called RESTORE

it helped my old truck that burnt oil like a beast. its not gonna be some mircle potion but its helps higher milage motors gain some compression and slow the blow by
Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 PM
98MustangSTL
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: street_fighterGT

No I have not checked my plugs yet. I really hope I dont have to rebuild the motor. I would really love to have a new/rebuilt motor so I can start fresh though but its all about the money.
It's not only about money, but about time and a spare vehicle to drive. I just got finished with that non sense. It's a huge hassle. It's so funny the whole time because you're always telling yourself....well I might as well replace this...that...etc... while the motor is out. Haha.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:29 PM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

vavle steam sills? I know my acura used to smoke up because of them.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 PM
street_fighterGT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 98MustangSTL

ORIGINAL: street_fighterGT

It's not only about money, but about time and a spare vehicle to drive. I just got finished with that non sense. It's a huge hassle. It's so funny the whole time because you're always telling yourself....well I might as well replace this...that...etc... while the motor is out. Haha.
You're right about having the time and a spare vehicle. Well I dont knowabout youbut I have the time and a spare vehicle, so yeah its all about the money to me, right now. I work and go to college but I can make time. Now if I didnt then it wouldnt be all about the money. I'm just going to take it step by step and see what happens. If the car is still driveable then I'll drive it til' it dies and do what I have to to fix it. I was just asking everyone what their opinions were about the problem, not about what you (98MustangSTL) have to make a smart comment about, and you didnt even say anything thats even helpful.. I dont tell myself "well I might as well replace this...that...etc. when if I have something that is reusable then I'll reuse it. Yeah now if the motor is out and I want more power then I will build one with forged internals, etc. since I already have that planned and I might as well since I have everything ready to do so. I know what you're saying though about it being a hassle because I know what its like.