4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

TYPHOON INTAKE

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:54 AM
militaryjag05
1st Gear Member

Default TYPHOON INTAKE

Hit me with your best pros and cons about putting a Typhoon intake on a virtually stock 99 GT 5spd. Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 AM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TYPHOON INTAKE

Pros = anything is better than the stock plastic intake
better flow to the heads
most likely will never crack

Cons= Stock GT doesnt justify the cost
Not taking full advantage of it until you get head work
Old 09-05-2007, 10:43 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

pros:?
Cons: its a peice of ****...all you need to know.

if your gonna buy a lower intake get the THR hardballer, that thing is indestructible

Old 09-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

So people call them upper & lower intakes now? Why not just intake manifold?

It's not worth the cash on a stock 2v.... What's with all the intake manifold threads suddenly?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

The only time I would consider putting an aluminum intake on an otherwise stock GT is when I was also planning to run nitrous, incase of nitrous backfires.

Also, Hardballr> Typhoon.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I can't think of any pros. The stock PI intake is a very efficient intake and flows quite well. It's lighter and doesn't cost any extra. Unless you have maxed out the stock intake, why change it? BTW as for anything being better than stock that is far from the truth. Most people with an aftermarket intake lose a ton of power down low (even on a built motor) and don't usually make it or or gain any into the upper RPMs. Why pay anything to take a loss? As far as a nitrous backfire, a plastic intake will probably go before an aluminum one but how much damage do you think is going to happen if the aluminum one goes? I've run nitrous for over 4 years on the stock PI intake and have had great results (NA and on the spray).
I never pay attention to ads that you see in magazines with their HP claims, for one they are trying to sell a product. And they all can claim "up to a xx HP gain", or "as much as" all up to mean is "no more than". They never say "try our (insert brand name here) intake, on our test mule we lost xx torque through xxxx rpm.... but did gain hp above xxxx rpm".
Also I'm sure that someone will agree with me here. You can take a car and make several runs on the dyno and not change any mods at all between dyno runs, comparethe runs and find a decent gain when comparing 2 different runs.
I've seen people use the Typhoon and not gain anywhere near what they claimed. I think someone on modular depot gainedat the highest peak 1HP with his Typhoon. And many have had fitment issues.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:42 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

http://forums.modulardepot.com/4-6l-...rt-polish.html#7 I can tell you I lost 30HP and 14 ftlbs of TQ with a nicely ported Typhoon. On nitrous I lost 40HP and 30ftlbs of tq. I put it back on my car when I did the blower to see if it was worth a **** under pressure and it blew the gaskets out of it at 10psi @3000 rpm.I can post some pics of mine when I get it back off my car (for the 3rd time) right before I beat it to pieces with a sledgehammer. And then Im going to mail all the pieces bac to Professional Products. Dont worry I will video it and post it on the internet. As far as your plenum goes, just because its shiny doesnt mean its good. BTW thay are made in China not Japan. 2 different countries.

http://forums.modulardepot.com/4-6l-...gt-auto-n.htmlhere everyone is telling the guy to sell is typhoon.

http://forums.modulardepot.com/4-6l-...nifolds-4.htmllong read but check out reply #76. On a built blower car (which should see better gains than a stocker) he went from 540 hp to 504 with the typhoon (36hp loss) @ 6000 rpm. He then spun it up to 6500 and still had almost a 10 hp loss over the stock PI at a lower rpm.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:10 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

No one else is allowed to post on here UNLESS YOU'VE PERSONALLY USED THE TYPHOON!!!! [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Stop bashing a product that you've never used or even seen in your life!!!! All you guys do is use hearsay and then run with it!!! I HAVE IT!!! IT WORKS GREAT!!!! No problems. Its not a piece of crap. I have three other friends with it too. One is on a 600 rwhp supercharged 5.1 2v. Never any problems. On a stock GT it wont see much of a gain becuase your restriction is in the heads not the manifold. Your car is starving for air becuase of two thing: The heads and the stock exhaust manifold. Not becuase of the intake, exhaust, throttle body or any other reason. Thats why when you do a header and head job its soooo much more power gain that a mid pipe, catback, manifold, CAI, throttle body, plenum, etc. If you want to address the air issues then get new heads and headers.

Our engines are like straws. Very restrictive to air. catback, intake, manifold, throttle body, etc is like putting bigger ends on the straw. Its gonna flow some more air but its still restricted. Supercharging is like forcefully blowing through that straw. A lot more air is gonna flow through but its still restricted. Heads and headers is like getting a bigger straw. Problem solved.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:18 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

btw the reason i have it is becuase im gonna spray the car. . .
Old 09-05-2007, 02:19 PM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...dyno_test.html

16 rwhp gain. Not bad if you ask me. . .

Quick Reply: TYPHOON INTAKE