4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Exhaust sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Doug T

Default Exhaust sound

Hi all. Just got a 2001 GT and started doing some mods. I don't race and care more about sound quality than performance. I had some Delta series 40 flowmasters welded into an otherwise stock system. While there is an improvement over stock, I need a little more sound. My question is this. Do all louder exhausts have that 2000 rpm drone or is that specific to flowmasters? Right now at 2000 it sounds good so I'm afraid if I lose the cats the rest of the rpm's will sound good but at 2000 it will be too much. Any thoughts?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust sound

the drone your talking about is present with all chambered style mufflers, to get rid of that get straight through style resonators.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:55 PM
arcticman37
3rd Gear Member

love my slps!! (o/r x too!!)
Old 09-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Durr727
6th Gear Member

Yup, and SLP catback and o/r mid will make that ****** scream!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:42 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

that drone is typical to 95% on the mustangs on the road, do you want yours to sound like everyone else out there? Or different? If different is your choice(the right one) get a magnapack cat back and off road x, you wont be disappointed.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:34 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Doug T

Hi all. Just got a 2001 GT and started doing some mods. I don't race and care more about sound quality than performance. I had some Delta series 40 flowmasters welded into an otherwise stock system. While there is an improvement over stock, I need a little more sound. My question is this. Do all louder exhausts have that 2000 rpm drone or is that specific to flowmasters? Right now at 2000 it sounds good so I'm afraid if I lose the cats the rest of the rpm's will sound good but at 2000 it will be too much. Any thoughts?
Every single aftermarket system for the Stang and the Vette and the Dodge (except Corsa) drone and don't let anyone tell you differently.
Some people call it heaven, other call it obnoxious.
Chambered ones are worse, but the straight throughs drone as well.
I have a Magnaflow catback and it drones like crazy at 2k rpm especially under load although no where near as bad as Flows.

It boils down to physics which includes the length of the tailpipe, temperature of the exhaust gas, the firing of the cylinders and some other totally boring stuff.

Point is the factory system was specifically designed not to drone, and even it drones a slight bit. However the factory system achieves droneless sound by restricting the exhaust, terribly in our cars.

The only aftermarket system I have heard that does not drone is the Steeda and the Ford Racing mufflers with those valves in them, I can't remember the model, m5230s or something like that.

When you ask about drone/loud exhaust you have to consider who is answering you.
When you see tons of posts on a forum from people with O/R pipes, you are asking in the wrong place.

To answer you question, if you lose the cats it will get loud and sputtering sounding.
If you like waking up the neighbors, you;ll be happy.

I;m old enough to have driven the real muscle cars of the 70's and when we had race nights and someone came in with super loud exhausts we used to laugh because it's just so lame.

A good sounding exhaust doesn't have to wake the hood.
Listen to a Lamborghini some time.
Better yet watch the movie Bullitt and listen to both the Dodge and the Stang.
Great sounding.....

Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Novel Complete

I have an o/r H and Stingers *which are very similar to the ford ones he mentioned, the M2****

In other words, one of the catbacks that is supposed to drone the least.

It's loud, all the time in my car. I get a lot of dash vibration, and resonance in the cabin at anything about 1800 rpm. Sometimes, in order to have an exhaust that you like, you have to deal with drone. Personally, I don't take little kids around, or drive a wife in it everyday, so I can live with *and i actually like* having plenty of volume in teh car at all times.

But yes, Flows are one of the most revered in the land of dronedom
Old 09-07-2007, 12:22 AM
00blackstang
3rd Gear Member

I got Magnaflows ( straight thru mufflers ) and i got no drone.. it isntannoying loud, but loud enought... but gets rele loud when you get on it.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Doug T

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'll try the pypes catted x (2 cats vs 4) and see if that is enough. I'm starting to wonder if I wasted 3 bills on the flows. Just so you know where I'm coming from sound wise I'm almost fifty years old and like to have fun but can't take obnoxious loud pipes. Thanks again
Old 09-07-2007, 11:34 AM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Doug T

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I'll try the pypes catted x (2 cats vs 4) and see if that is enough. I'm starting to wonder if I wasted 3 bills on the flows. Just so you know where I'm coming from sound wise I'm almost fifty years old and like to have fun but can't take obnoxious loud pipes. Thanks again
you didnt waste it on the flows.. you wasted it on the 40 series. check out the 10 series... it idles like true american muscle.. drones at 2,000 gets quieter when you get higher in the rpms (to around 3500-4000) and after that screams. id put up a video clip, but id get flamed cause i have no exhaust tips :X

Quick Reply: Exhaust sound