4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I Think I Cracked My Intake Manifold...now a batt light. WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 05:39 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default I Think I Cracked My Intake Manifold...now a batt light. WTF!

Ok so a few days ago I posted about my belt being sheared off, and the car running like ****...I think it put my water pump out of business for a few miles, and the car overheated.

Today I noticed a dripping puddle of coolant under my car when I started her up, and sure enough...it's coming from that elbow/flange off the intake manifold. As far as I'm concerned, the car has had the stock manifold for all it's life (about 107k miles)...

Is this what they mean by a "cracked intake manifold"? Is that where it usually cracks? I don't see a crack but I see coolant seaping from in between the black plastic and the heads.

So what do I do? Do I have to go and buy a whole new intake manifold just for that little POS elbow? Why did Ford make it so that they are one piece instead of 2 seperate pieces like the direct replacements? I see the direct replacements are OEM parts for the 01+ GT's...so will that work on mine? And what material are they made out of, because mine is plastic.

Heres some pics and video....horrible cell phone quality, so sorry about that.

Heres the link to the video >>>>>> http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...t=Video009.flv

Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Coolant Leaking...I Think I Cracked My Intake Manifold

Oh and I heard that some guys ran it with JB Weld and it worked for a little while.

If that works...then maybe I'll do that until I get some cash.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:21 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_3833831/...tm.htm#3836537
I thinkI tried to warn you....LOL.....I've only done at least a dozen intake manifold jobs andcan tell just by looking at it...you need to get a newupdated manifoldwith the aluminum crossover...I bought a FORD new version for mine...along with 2 intake gaskets and 8 o-rings for the bottom of the injectors..you can buy a DORMAN replacement manifold that comes with everythig you need,but I didnt like the way the intake looked....plus I'm F/I and those dorman are 2 piece intake(plastic part)melted together where the fordis one piece molded...
Also if you do goFORD manifold...you original alternator bracket wont fit and you'll have to re-drill the mounting holes or buy the right one..if so...I can get you the FORD part number off mine..it was like 18 bucks my cost.....
Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

OK so I know what I need now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...spagenameZWDVW

will that work for me?

It said it comes with
- 2 Thermostat housing spacers
- 3 Brackets (2 alternator brackets, 1 EGR bracket)
- 1 Pipe plug

- 1 Alternator spacer
- 1 Thermostat housing "0" ring gasket
- 1 Thermostat
- 2 M5 screws, lock washers, and nuts
- 10 Sheet metal screws
- Installation instructions

Do I need anything else besides that?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:31 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Oh and is the car safe to drive? I need to go to school this week and I don't have another car.

As long as I keep refilling the car with water and watching the heat levels will I be OK?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

OK so I know what I need now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...spagenameZWDVW

will that work for me?

It said it comes with
- 2 Thermostat housing spacers
- 3 Brackets (2 alternator brackets, 1 EGR bracket)
- 1 Pipe plug

- 1 Alternator spacer
- 1 Thermostat housing "0" ring gasket
- 1 Thermostat
- 2 M5 screws, lock washers, and nuts
- 10 Sheet metal screws
- Installation instructions

Do I need anything else besides that?
Injector O-rings ..Those are the dorman replacement manifolds...there o.k I usethose atwork all the time...injector o-rings dont come with them...and you should at leasttry and replace the bottom ones(have to remove the injectors and rail)...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:43 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

Oh and is the car safe to drive? I need to go to school this week and I don't have another car.

As long as I keep refilling the car with water and watching the heat levels will I be OK?
Well...AS long as you keep the coolant full and dont over heat the car....should be o.k...try not to use just water....I'd use 50/50 water /antifreeze....til you got it fixed....
Old 09-09-2007, 11:26 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

OK...WTF...now I have a battery light?!?!?!?!?!

I wanted to apply some sealant to the crack just to minimize the leaking. So I pulled the hose to get to it easier, and I also took off those wires that go to the alternator.

Heres what happened, I pulled off the alternator wire, but I FORGOT to disconnect the battery. The wire that goes to the red piece on the alternator hit the alternator bracket and made a little spark. Nothing else happened, I then disconnected the battery,then I continued, applied sealant (didn't work btw) and then put everything back together. I gave it a start and now I have a battery light. I took out my voltmeter, and with the car running, I only got 12v from the alternator plug.

WTF DID I DO? Did Ipop some kind of fuse? Or can what happened cause my alternator to fry? Some coolant may have dripped onto the belt...would that cause it to slip? The belt is brand new BTW.

I just want to sit here and right now. I have so given up on this POS. As soon as I fix this problem the car is being sold.I can't pay for it anymore. [X(]
Old 09-09-2007, 11:28 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Oh and the car is loosing coolant pretty rapidly. It's basically spitting it out when RPM's go past idle. Is it still OK to drive it at least to the shop maybe?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:38 PM
militaryjag05
1st Gear Member

how fars the shop? i would say go slow and watch the Temp guage like a hawk. as for the pop with alternator ou got me on that one. Good luck.

Quick Reply: I Think I Cracked My Intake Manifold...now a batt light. WTF!