4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Touched my coils, got shocked!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:44 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Touched my coils, got shocked!!!!!

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

Wires are fine, I've replaced them twice before I had Taylor 10mm and now I have Ford Racing 9mm wires. I just went out and sprayed water on them in the dark and didn't see any arching.... Hmmmm I'm at a loss. And, I don't really have any miss, except the occasional popping sound from the exhaust.
be careful doing this, but do you have any old plug wires? Attach a wire to the outside of the coil with the car off (hell, tape it on there, get metal to contact the coil cover) and then stick a screwdriver in the other end of the wire. Hold the screwdriver so that its real close to a clean metal surface on the car, and then have someone start/turn over the car. If your getting spark between the screwdriver and the metal you have a problem, that is the coil is putting voltage on the outside of itself.

How bad did it shock you? It shouldn't be something you just kinda felt, it should be a eye opening experence. if it was just a tiny little jolt I would probably not worry much about it. Modern EFI systems have LOTs of voltage, let alone aftermarket stuff. It should pretty well knock you on your butt if its really shorted.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

Wires are fine, I've replaced them twice before I had Taylor 10mm and now I have Ford Racing 9mm wires. I just went out and sprayed water on them in the dark and didn't see any arching.... Hmmmm I'm at a loss. And, I don't really have any miss, except the occasional popping sound from the exhaust.
be careful doing this, but do you have any old plug wires? Attach a wire to the outside of the coil with the car off (hell, tape it on there, get metal to contact the coil cover) and then stick a screwdriver in the other end of the wire. Hold the screwdriver so that its real close to a clean metal surface on the car, and then have someone start/turn over the car. If your getting spark between the screwdriver and the metal you have a problem, that is the coil is putting voltage on the outside of itself.

How bad did it shock you? It shouldn't be something you just kinda felt, it should be a eye opening experence. if it was just a tiny little jolt I would probably not worry much about it. Modern EFI systems have LOTs of voltage, let alone aftermarket stuff. It should pretty well knock you on your butt if its really shorted.
+1 If it was like a static electricity shock I wouldn't worry about it. BTW, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was amps that killed you, not volts. I know tazers are advertised as high voltage, low amp so it wouldn't kill anyone.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Electricity basically sort of works like water.
Voltage is the pressure like psi, instead its measured in volts.
Amperage is the quantity of electricitylike gallons of water.
Resistance as in the the wire size or hose size. The more resistance (smaller wire or hose) the pressure (volts/psig) needed to make it flow.

Volts x Amps = Watts or power
Old 09-13-2007, 03:14 PM
RedfireStang03
1st Gear Member

Sorry if i was wrong i just know with some electric objects you take special precautions.