4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

im buring so much oil.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 09:40 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default im buring so much oil.

400 miles and i burned a quart

WTF 46,600.1 miles

im on my way to go get some oil from autozone

why is it burning so much? sae5w-20 synthetic blend (motor craft) with a fram filter

please help

are my rings bad or something?!~
Old 09-14-2007, 10:00 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: im buring so much oil.

check to make sure you don't have bits of oil in your coolant resevior, and also check the fluid on your dipstick to make sure it isnt sweet smelling or milky looking. this could be signs of some serious problems.

Before you start sweatin' buckets, are you sure your oil pan plug is sealing properly and not cross threaded? Is your filter on tight and not damaged? When you checked your oil last, was the engine hot or cold? Can you see any oil deposits on/under the engine?

If you are burning oil this bad, there's one more test you can do. Check your spark plugs, burning oil will leave deposits on the electrodes, leaving a shinny black or gunky substance on them.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

i meant to say i just got done changing my oil about 500 miles ago, i checked it this morning (about to go on a trip) and saw how low it was...no coolant mixed, the filter is on tight and the oil pan bolt isnt cross threaded (i change it myself)

how on god's green earth do i get to my plugs on this engine? LOL

thanks for your help man
Old 09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

i checked the oil when the car was cold, am i supposed to check it when the car is hot?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:39 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

no its better to check it cold, asking if u checked it hot or cold was to make sure you didnt check it after running it. Checking your oil level after riding around gives lower than normal readings because some of the oil is still covering parts on the top end of the engine. If you checked it cold then it rules out this "mis-reading".

As for spark plugs, i've never changed them on a GT, but im sure a good extension and a spark 5/8" is all you need
Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

thanks bud

anything else i should check out before the trip?

yesterday i rebalanced all my tires, i put washer fluid in (most importatnt thing, i know), i checked the air filter

hmm what else?
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

do you notice any black smoke (or any kind for that matter) comming out of your exaust when your car is on? what about if you get on it, do you see any then?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:26 PM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponysnake99

no its better to check it cold, asking if u checked it hot or cold was to make sure you didnt check it after running it. Checking your oil level after riding around gives lower than normal readings because some of the oil is still covering parts on the top end of the engine. If you checked it cold then it rules out this "mis-reading".
I have to disagree here. The level you want in the pan iin a perfect world is at the full mark on the dipstick with the engine running. Since you can't get an accurate reading withit running, you gotta shut it off, but check it right away while it's hot and you have some oil up top still.

That said, it's not that critical. It's better to be slightly low on oil (like zero to 1 qt range) than to be overfull.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:47 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

really? how is that true, if its over full wont it just burn the excess off?

i just added a quart and a half a little while ago

that puts me at 9 1/2 quarts

just kidding

but seriously, i should be up around 5 1/2 now

sometimes not often at all i will see white smoke coming from the exhaust at a light...like 1-2 times a month, it will do it at 1 light only, but when it does it its like a ton

wtf?

its only happened like twice actually

in about 1 hour im leaving for that trip, anything else i should check before i skedaddle?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Fobra
Banned

you probly counted wrong... 51/2 is not enough oil bud - 4.6's can take 6 to 6.5 to read full - i know it sucks

Quick Reply: im buring so much oil.