4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

do MILs completely throw c/e light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 03:24 AM
97snakebite
1st Gear Member

Default RE: do MILs completely throw c/e light?

Yeah I'm absolutely positive that it's not the pipes. It's coming from the right side of the engine primarily, so I was thinking maybe the right coil pack could be going bad? If not that, maybe the spark plugs are all together bad ... The factory maintenence suggests that I dont need to fool with spark plugs until 100,000 miles, but that could be inaccurate.. every car is different ... Tytanium, I really appreciate you letting me know that it happened to your car too, it puts me a little bit more at ease because the problem you had was what I've been suspecting from the start ... and competition orange 04, that's exactly what I was asking. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:00 PM
ryan94cobra

i have an o/r h pipe and i didnt install any MILs. the check engine light was on once in a while when i first did it, and now never. i have some mils just incase they decide to come on. i was just wondering also if they go in the front or rear o2 sensors. they are color matched (teal green) with the upper ones.. but they will fit either. i odnt know which one i would put them in?
any help?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:10 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

they go in the rear o2 sensors... the ones closes to the rear of the car (right beside you H joint)

dont mess with the ones in the fornt (close to the headders). Those are the ones that will mess with your performance.... the rear ones simply says "Yes cats work" and "No cats dont work" thats ALL.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:12 PM
ezerojas

ORIGINAL: ryan94cobra

i have an o/r h pipe and i didnt install any MILs. the check engine light was on once in a while when i first did it, and now never. i have some mils just incase they decide to come on. i was just wondering also if they go in the front or rear o2 sensors. they are color matched (teal green) with the upper ones.. but they will fit either. i odnt know which one i would put them in?
any help?
BTW, just for the record, MIL is an acronym for Malfunction Indicator Lamp (AKA Check Engine Light), so the little plugs your put at the end of the harness when you change to an off-road pipe are called "MIL Eliminators" because they turn off that pesky little check engine light.

The MIL eliminators go in place of the "rear" O2's, the ones AFTER the catalytic converters only.

Ryan, does your 94 have O2's after the catalytic converters (when you had them in place, that is)?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:48 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ezerojas

ORIGINAL: 97snakebite

However the c/e light hasn't come on and I've got MIL eliminators on my x-pipe ... would those throw the c/e light all together or only like 420 codes and whatnot? [/align][/align]Any help you can give me is appreciated cause this problem started weeks ago and it's gotten worse over time. Note, I NEVER feel it at highway speed .. like 60-70+ mph I don't feel anything at all ...[/align]
Some of the other posters answered about the MIL (CEL), and they are dead on. The MIL eliminators only duplicate an expected "good" signal from the cat monitors, making the ECU happy. The ECU thinks that cats are working fine, and does not trip a code and turn on the MIL.

HOWEVER, that said, NOT ALL performance issues will trip a code or MIL light. With OBDII, the ECU may note a performance problem and set a code, but not trip the light right away. Other times, the problem will not occur long enough or often enough to trip a code or MIL. I've seen cars with a dead hole not trip a misfire code. More than likely your problem does not occur long enough for the ECU to think anything much of it. The MIL is intended for emmissions primarily, and Ford doesn't want folks popping in to the dealer for every little misfire, so it has some flexibility. If it will affect emmisions notably, then it will likely trip the light.

Last of all, are you sure you do not have any clearance issues with your exhaust?I know this sounds dumb, but if the exhaust is touching anything...That might account for the thump and shaking.
+1 My car had no power one time and no CEL. Turns out the two front o2 sensors were working but translating the information very slow so the car run like crap but didn't throw a code because they were working.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:36 AM
ezerojas

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

ORIGINAL: ezerojas

ORIGINAL: 97snakebite

However the c/e light hasn't come on and I've got MIL eliminators on my x-pipe ... would those throw the c/e light all together or only like 420 codes and whatnot? [/align][/align]Any help you can give me is appreciated cause this problem started weeks ago and it's gotten worse over time. Note, I NEVER feel it at highway speed .. like 60-70+ mph I don't feel anything at all ...[/align]
Some of the other posters answered about the MIL (CEL), and they are dead on. The MIL eliminators only duplicate an expected "good" signal from the cat monitors, making the ECU happy. The ECU thinks that cats are working fine, and does not trip a code and turn on the MIL.

HOWEVER, that said, NOT ALL performance issues will trip a code or MIL light. With OBDII, the ECU may note a performance problem and set a code, but not trip the light right away. Other times, the problem will not occur long enough or often enough to trip a code or MIL. I've seen cars with a dead hole not trip a misfire code. More than likely your problem does not occur long enough for the ECU to think anything much of it. The MIL is intended for emmissions primarily, and Ford doesn't want folks popping in to the dealer for every little misfire, so it has some flexibility. If it will affect emmisions notably, then it will likely trip the light.

Last of all, are you sure you do not have any clearance issues with your exhaust?I know this sounds dumb, but if the exhaust is touching anything...That might account for the thump and shaking.
+1 My car had no power one time and no CEL. Turns out the two front o2 sensors were working but translating the information very slow so the car run like crap but didn't throw a code because they were working.
Perfect example of how not all performance problems = CEL/MIL.