4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What can I use with Accufab Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 05:41 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What can I use with Accufab Plenum

Thanks HOSS302. I was thinking of something else. I'll give that a try. Seems like a simple thing to try. I am assuming the TB is staying open but thats only what Accufab told me. I haven't actually verified that nor would I be able to figure out how to verify it. This seems simple enough to try.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:24 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

only time i ever had hanging rpm problem was when my jlt intake came off the tb and i was getting unmeasured air into the tb. are you getting any cel's?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

No cel's however I suspect the custom tune I just had shut off some sensors. Mostly O2 I am guessing. I thought maybe I had a leak but it doesn't do it all the time. I would think if I had a leak, it would be constant but its not. I can stop 2-3 times on the same road, put it in neutral and it drops to 800 rpm like its supposed to. Then on the 4th stop, it jumps to 1500 or so, sits there for a couple of seconds and then drops to 800. I really think its the computer all f'd up and its confused. I might try another master reset, but then I lose any settings it has already learned. I think I may stick it out another week and try the mod suggested. It seems simple enough to do and undo.
Last resort is throw my stock back on.

Lastly, if you think its not a common problem, just Google Accufab idle hang like I said. You will see many others with the same issue. Here is one from this board.
https://mustangforums.com/archive/th...3464600-1.html
Old 09-22-2007, 06:35 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelbyville

I am sure I did install it right. There is not much to mess up. If you google Accufab and hanging idle, you will get back 100's of hits. Its a common problem not just with Mustangs. I have only had it on for about 5-6 days now so maybe I need to give it more time. Accufab says the computer is holding open the TB. I agree that its not mechanical but its the story of my life. If a problem will show up, it will be on my car. I have decided not to use another TB. If I do anything, I will send the entire combo back and put the stock back on.
It's not user error, it's a known problem with the accufab combo.
Some people have it.
Some people have it and don't realize they have it.
Some people have it and it goes away after a couple of days.

I have a 2003 automatic and when I installed the combo I too had the hang as well as a noticeable loss in low end torque.
I sent the combo packing and re-installed the stock.

I'd get rid of it if I were you and whatever you do, DON'T play with the IAC mod.
You should NOT have to do that.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I know you said something about it before. You also said American Muscle took it back. They told me no way. They said I needed larger fuel injectors or a better fuel pump. To fix an idle hang problem!!!! They were not even listening to my problem. I am going to give it another week or so and then I am going back to stock. I guess I will have to sell the Accufab on Ebay or something. AM wouldn't even give me a credit. Ialso told them it could be a defective part, like the blade on the TB wasn't closingproperly. They didn't even want to hear it. Accufab said do not messwith the settings on the TB. They are set perfect at the factory.I did try the IAC mod and after 10 minutes of driving, I got a P1506. Haven't looked it up yet but I am sure it has something to do with the mod. I have been reading article after article all over the Internet on this problem. It seems to be hit or miss as to whether it works or not.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:17 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Thanks. I know you said something about it before. You also said American Muscle took it back. They told me no way. They said I needed larger fuel injectors or a better fuel pump. To fix an idle hang problem!!!! They were not even listening to my problem. I am going to give it another week or so and then I am going back to stock. I guess I will have to sell the Accufab on Ebay or something. AM wouldn't even give me a credit. I also told them it could be a defective part, like the blade on the TB wasn't closing properly. They didn't even want to hear it. Accufab said do not mess with the settings on the TB. They are set perfect at the factory. I did try the IAC mod and after 10 minutes of driving, I got a P1506. Haven't looked it up yet but I am sure it has something to do with the mod. I have been reading article after article all over the Internet on this problem. It seems to be hit or miss as to whether it works or not.
did you disconnect your battery while you installed it? u need ot reset the computer so u dont scare the car lol
Old 09-23-2007, 07:45 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Thanks. I know you said something about it before. You also said American Muscle took it back. They told me no way. They said I needed larger fuel injectors or a better fuel pump. To fix an idle hang problem!!!! They were not even listening to my problem. I am going to give it another week or so and then I am going back to stock. I guess I will have to sell the Accufab on Ebay or something. AM wouldn't even give me a credit. I also told them it could be a defective part, like the blade on the TB wasn't closing properly. They didn't even want to hear it. Accufab said do not mess with the settings on the TB. They are set perfect at the factory. I did try the IAC mod and after 10 minutes of driving, I got a P1506. Haven't looked it up yet but I am sure it has something to do with the mod. I have been reading article after article all over the Internet on this problem. It seems to be hit or miss as to whether it works or not.
They tried that with me as well, although they told me I needed a tune (which is probably true) however, my response to them was "Where does it say that in your catalog listing for this item?"

If I knew it needed a tune I never would have purchased the product in the first place.

Here is the listing for the TB:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/ac42v70thbop.html

It says "Bolt on" and NOTHING about a tune.....

Call them back and confront them with their own advertiesement and politely say, if it needed a tune, injectors, whatever, you should let me know this up front and not after the sale.

Ask for a manager and be persistant.

It worked for me although they charged me something like $5.00 for initial shipping or restocking or who knows what, it was fair IMHO.

If they give you a hard time tell them, as a last resort only, you'll post your experiences all over every Mustang board you know of.

For the record, I like AM and feel they are an excellent company however some of the bozos they hire in their tech support section need some schoolin' so to speak.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I did reset the computer but I think I made the hole too small. I am going to try a different size. Not sure whyI need to do this anyway. My car never had an issue with hanging rpms at idle. It's like I have to compensate for the Accufab which I shouldn't have to do. I am stuck with the item because AM won't take it back [:@]so I have to make the best of it I guess, or go back to stock.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:56 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I did reset the computer but I think I made the hole too small. I am going to try a different size. Not sure why I need to do this anyway. My car never had an issue with hanging rpms at idle. It's like I have to compensate for the Accufab which I shouldn't have to do. I am stuck with the item because AM won't take it back [:@]so I have to make the best of it I guess, or go back to stock.
You should NOT have to do the idle mod.
Send the Accufab back, put your car back to stock and chalk it up to a learning experience.

I have been told that the FFRP 70mm has a small hole drilled in the TB plate that eliminates the hang but who knows?
I have also been told that there is a tune parameter called "return to idle" or something like that, which can be tweaked to fix the hang as well.
I don't know.
All I know is the combo sucked on my car.
FWIW the Accufab works great for some people and not for others and I haven't a clue as to why but I do know that it is not worth screwing with.
Send it back.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

I got in an arguement with two of their customer service reps. The first guy hung up on me I think. I couldn't get it through their heads it wasn't a performance issue. I had the car tuned right after the install and the numbers were better than expected. I am sure the Accufab added a bit to these numbers. My issue was at idle. They absolutely refused to let me talk to someone else. All they kept saying was I should have read their return policy better and I did not do my homework before buying this product. The first guy told me most who buy this item have SC's installed. It was all my fault for not checking before I bought and there is no way the item could be defective. They didn't even want to hear it. I like AM too. Their web site rocks, their shipping rocks and they have great prices but I doubt I will ever buy something from them again because of their return policy. Most companies I deal with will let you return something within 30 days if you are not happy. They may charge you a restocking fee but they will take it back.

Quick Reply: What can I use with Accufab Plenum