4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

well whats the best way to go about this? intake manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM
holmes14
2nd Gear Member

Default well whats the best way to go about this? intake manifold.

Well i picked up my 99 mustang this summer knowing nothing about the ****ty plastic intake manifolds and the other day it cracked! Now it looks like im **** outta luck right? all the warrantys and what not are all done i believe. So is there any hope or at least whats the best way to go about this? i found a brand new intake manifold for around 200 bucks and another 200+ to get it installed. Now is there any better way to go about it? is it something easy to do that i could install myself or should i have it done right by ford? lets just say this sucks... is there anything else i should do while its apart. Well lemme know what to do guys im so pissed this is coming outta my s/c fund!!! bastards

**edit: Subject edited, please do not circumvent the swear filters. Sorry
Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: f*ck.. well whats the best way to go about this? intake manifold.

i didnt know the 99's had the plastic intake manifolds? I have a 99... mine isnt plastic is it?
Old 09-24-2007, 02:37 PM
holmes14
2nd Gear Member

yeah it is, unless its been replaced
Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
PolozLX
1st Gear Member

Install it yourself. Theres some bread back in the S/C basket....
Old 09-24-2007, 02:49 PM
mustang02racing
2nd Gear Member

americanmuscle has the intake manifold and yea its deff plastic and dont waste money on labor its really easy to take off i did my heads and cams which obviously require the removal of the intake manifold and that was the easiest part. and remember i never took apart a motor before lol
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM
02 GT
4th Gear Member

why not just fork out the cash and get a performance intake (like a cai) then the problem is fixed and you've got an enginemod.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:29 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02 GT

why not just fork out the cash and get a performance intake (like a cai) then the problem is fixed and you've got an enginemod.
because A) most "performance" intakes (such as my typhoon pi intake) really arent worth the $$$$ he will be "forking out"
B) a cold air intake is TOTALLY different from the intake manifold, which is what the op is talking about

to the op, just do the manifold yourself, its really not that too difficult, just find a good writeup
Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

Its really not that hard to install it shouldnt take too long. I had more trouble getting my valve covers off than my intake lol.Might just be me though.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:57 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Make sure you get Genuine Ford parts. Dorman makes an intake as well for the mustangs and it's garbage. The port holes are all closed up. I had to open mine up with a dremel. I was pissed. It's quite a bit of work if you don't know what you are doing. You have to unplug all electrical on the top of the motor. Take the alternator off, unbolt the fuel rail (unplug the trunk switchin the trunk...hold a towel over the schrader valve to relieve the fuel pressure.)(shcrader valve looks like a a tire valve stem to put air in) Folt the fuel rail out of the way. Take the injectors out and wipe o-rings clean. You have to clean up the head surfaces and make sure you don't push all the settled dirt into the port holes in the heads!!!!! I ziptied the wiring harness to the wiper blades to hol it up and back and slide the intake through the front. Instal is a breeze.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:44 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_3833004/tm.htm

here ya go, this is a swap from an NPI motor to a PI motor, you won't need all the parts listed but its pretty much teh same procedure.! enjoy

Quick Reply: well whats the best way to go about this? intake manifold.