4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:53 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: squeaking

Yeah, this happens to mustangs; as you can see from all the responses. I read an article about that somewhere. They said it was the bushings in the rear. Polyurethane ones are what you need to make it go away for good. However, I hear they're hard to change by themselves. So, what I'm going to do is go to Americanmuscle.com and get some control arms for the rear. They have the bushings built into them and when you upgrade those it will eliminate wheel hop. That's two birds with one stone right there I know what you mean about it being annoying. My car has been doing that since I got it 11 months ago! But the control arms should fix it.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:48 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang4life05

i don't notice it when i accelerate but my exhaust is pretty loud to cover it up but its very noticeable on bumps and stuff...as far as the wd-40, where at? everywhere or just in certain spots?
The WD-40 basically puts an oily mix in with the bushings to moisten it up. Dry rubber bushings cause squeeking against metal. They are used from the factory because they are more forgiving for less parts to break, quieter on the road because they absorb vibrations, andsmoother over bumps. However they don't last for shiiaatt. Polyurethane is the way to go.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:23 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Because of the genius engineers at ford, they designed the rear suspension geometry thats not parallel to the frame and therefor around turns and in tight situations, the control arms have to be able to twist and flex for a smooth ride. Thats why they put soft bushing in them. Check http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm#Rearthat outta help some. Just get aftermarket control arms with poly bushings and til then, live with it or lube it.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ive got an 01 GT and when i hit bumps i get some squeaking noises, just wonderin what it might be and if its an easy fix...figured it was something with the springs/shocks, sorry if my vagueness doesn't help
Has it been on a lift lately? Sometimes the e-brake line bracket can get pushed up against the frame causing the squeaks, Easy fix as you can push it down and away from the chassis
Old 09-25-2007, 02:53 PM
SnakeFan
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I think I know what you're talking about. I had the same thing happen about 3 years back on my 01 GT. When I would hit bumps it would squeek....and it was soooo annoying. I put it up on a lift, took a rubber mallet and gently hit different points of the suspension and exhaust. It ended up being the shield that holds the front two Oxygen Detectors. A little lube, and a little tightening and it was good to go. I'm not sayin it will be the exacty same, but atleast try the lift and mallet idea to get an handle on where the noise is coming from. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 AM
stang4life05

its been lifted recently because the engine was out getting fixed, might be the problem, ill have to check it out, just hard to figure out where its comin from when the only time you can tell is when you are drivin
Old 09-26-2007, 12:18 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

its been lifted recently because the engine was out getting fixed, might be the problem, ill have to check it out, just hard to figure out where its comin from when the only time you can tell is when you are drivin
E-brake bracket is on the drivers side in front of the back wheel underneath, you'll see it. Push it down off the chassis
Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM
horspwr

I had an annoying sqeaking noise and read that the problem may be from the climate control air intake between the windshield wipers. The plastic rubs the window glass. I put some foam under the plastic grate and have not heard the squeak since
Old 09-26-2007, 12:45 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

I had a bad sqeak over bumps as well... It was the shocks.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Well, you can tell if it's the bushings by pushing down on the rear of the car. When you depress the shocks, it will squeak if the bushings are bad. That's an easy place to start.

Quick Reply: squeaking