4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch Install??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:57 AM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

Default Clutch Install??

My clutch is going out and I need to get it replaced. I have a few buddies who have moderate mechanic skills.

My question is, how hard is it to replace a cluth. I know I wil have to take the flywheel in to get it resurfaced, but how hard is it to replace the clutch itself. Is there anything special about doing it or is it simply (and I use that word loosely) a bolt on fix.

thanks for the help[8D]
Old 09-26-2007, 10:16 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Clutch Install??

I did mine and replaced it with a stage2 centerforce. Personally I will never replace a mustang clutch again. Especially on my year model. Dont know if they are different on the newer ones or not. Just be patient, dont lose your attitude.... oh and plan to have at least a full day that you can work.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:29 AM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

anyhitng special that needs to be done for the install. am I just loosening up some bolts and then swaping out a part or is there anyhting tricky to this?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:37 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

Well truthfully, my whole install was tricky...
But, your gonna have to take off the exhaust and of course the driveshaft.
Then you get to the tranny, dont forget to take your shift **** off before you try to pull it through the floor.
Take out all the bolts around and, and on my year, there was 2 bolts on the very top that were a B**** to get off. We had to connect about 4ft of extensions to get to them. You need to get TQ specs on putting the bolts back in the flywheel and the tranny when you reinstall.You need to go in a star pattern when tightening the flywheel back, but if you get the specs it will tell you a little more in detail of how to do it.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

^^^ WOW I think I'll just be forking over the $$$ and have the shop do this
Old 09-26-2007, 11:44 AM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

My old name used to be Blck98GT

I searched for this thread... this is the one i started about installing my clutch. there are 2 pages of it. It has the specs on it for TQing down everything check it out. Hope this helps, it took awhile to find.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1646829/tm.htm

Old 09-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Woah, I really dont think its that hard. The hardest part is dealing with the transmissoin. You need enough room under the car to remove from the motorit and get it out of your way. Getting at the transimssion bolts can be a PITA, especially the top starter bolt. But once thats done, the rest is easy. The only special tool required is the alignment tool, which is usually included with the clutch kit. Youll need some friends to help get the transission in place when you put it back in and torque the bolts down. Oh, and you can leave the top starter bolt out when it goes back together, makes it easier if you ever have to get back in there.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

Did you know you need to drop the transmission to replace a clutch? If not, I would seriously consider just having a shop put in the clutch for you. It is not something you want to do without having a lot of experience, or someone who knows what they are doing to help you.

Sometimes I forget how blessed I am to have a dad who tore cars apart as a hobby back in the 80's- he knows so much it is scary.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:24 PM
1fstblckgt
I ♥ Acer

My dad was the same way, that is why i had him and my older brother help me.

ORIGINAL: Zanador

Did you know you need to drop the transmission to replace a clutch? If not, I would seriously consider just having a shop put in the clutch for you. It is not something you want to do without having a lot of experience, or someone who knows what they are doing to help you.

Sometimes I forget how blessed I am to have a dad who tore cars apart as a hobby back in the 80's- he knows so much it is scary.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
leglocking101
2nd Gear Member

looks like this is going to be taken to the shop......GRRRRRR

how many hours should I expect the shop to take/charge for the install

Quick Reply: Clutch Install??