4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Air Silencer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:38 PM
04CompetitionOrange
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Air Silencer?

Think I'm gonna take off my silencer and put it onX04Mach1X......Hi Oh!
Old 09-27-2007, 04:42 PM
ezerojas

Man, this is amazing stuff!

I love how some folks swear they have a engineering degree! If you are not an automotive engineer, don't bother stating "facts" or any research without first recognizing that you very well could be wrong or misinterpreting the data. "Layman science" is not a science at all. Its BS and opinion; it okay to admit it. That's what forums are for. We talk things out, compare opinions, and sometimes make a crack or two about the other guy's opinions. But man, the vitriol! Stop slamming pints of **** and calm down!

Ah, god, the comedy in this place. [8D]
Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM
miller89
2nd Gear Member

lol look what a startedbut i have an aftermarket CAI anyways, thanks for your help fellas
Old 09-27-2007, 07:19 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

ORIGINAL: X04Mach1X

thats cool.. ill just sit back as you make yourself look like an idiot... cuz youre so right! the shaker which is connected directly to my intake bringing cold air doesnt do anything.. you moron, and what do you mean ask anyone? the only one that will talk **** about it is the jealous people like you!

by the way youre saying you got gains from cutting your silencer, which is connected on the left side of the air filter, yet my shaker which is mounted through my hood connected to the right side of the air filter doesnt do anything? you are contradicting yourself buddy
Wow... How about we calm down noobie.....

You get gains from removing the silencer.... Its been proven. Im not sure what kind of a scientist you are but maybe YOU should dyno before and after before you go around talking out of your ***.....
I agree.

But to play devil's advocate consider this:

But all cars are different and for example the Accufab combo was not a good mod on my car yet others love it and I don't doubt them.
In theory removing the silencer seems to be a good idea because the snorkel is a smaller hole on one end, the one in the fender, which seems like it would not allow as much air to come in.
However, by opening up the end of the filter box, you are going to get air rushing by it from the fan, through the grill etc and this air will interfere with the air coming in through the now open hole in the fender.

Think of a straw.
If you put it in your mouth and blow, the air comes out the other end with force.
This is akin to the air coming up through the fender, into the snorkel and being forced into the filter because it has no other place to go.

Now, take the straw and hole it an inch or two from your mouth and blow.
The air coming out the end does not have as much force to it.
This is akin to the car with the snorkel removed.
You have air coming up through the fender, but now you have a space between the filter element/box and the hole in the fender (ie: the space between the straw and your mouth in the second example). You also have other air, much of it hot, flowing all over under the hood which might interfere with this air coming in through the fender well.

So you might be trading volume, for force.
Or maybe not, I don't know [8D]

All that being said, the only true way to test it would be to measure air flow, temperature and dyno performance over many runs with many different cars.

Personally, I would say try it and see what you think.
It does sound kind of kool with the silencer removed and it doesn't hurt anything AFAIK.
I wouldn't touch the screen though.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Monch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

The opening in the air silencer is smaller than the opening in the T/B so it would be a restriction.Removing the screen from in front of the MAF will give a couple of HP also.I trimmed my air silencer and removed the screen and picked up a couple of MPG,so it is a useful and free mod.
removing the silencer was the first thing i did when i got the car, didn't feel much power improvment but the car got a bit louder, more intake noise which i kinda liked. i was really surprised when i removed the screen, made a noticeable improvement above 3.5k and a bit better mileage. i keep track of mileage because i'm like that and sure enough i was averaging about 15 miles more to the tank.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

I'm gonna do this tomorrow. Improved throttle response would be nice.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:57 AM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

My car DID NOT run right with the screen off soI put it back on.Removing the silencer and adding a k&n does make the responce go up not sure about HP though.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Prodigy17
3rd Gear Member

Does anyone know what the correct term for the bracket is that attaches the air box to the car? In mine the threads got stripped so i need a new one.....I heard it might be called a "speedy bracket"??? Help if you know....
Old 09-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Prodigy17
3rd Gear Member

And what are you guys talking about when you say dont touch the "screen". Probably stupid question but I'd like to know....
Old 09-28-2007, 01:35 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

I had my silencer removed and added a K&N. Sounds better under load and slightly better throttle response.

Quick Reply: Air Silencer?