4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question about stereo

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 04:27 PM
jtcstrat
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about stereo

I just bought a 02 mustang gt, it came with a flip out Kenwood dvd/tv/ player and custom subs and amps in the trunk, and I don’t want this stuff though.

My question is for you stereo guys out there: Does my car have that complicated mach stereo system? The speakers and the tweeds say mach on them. I thought they all came with mach stereos? I saw a few pics of mustangs that had the amp rack in the trunk stock from the factory. Can some one give me a bit more info on this?

The reason I ask this is because I want to take all that out and just put the stock stereo back in, and I was wondering if its plug and play or if its all re-wired (because of the possible mach stereo). When I had a dodge with the infinity system it had to be re-wired to bypass or work with the stock amps and such...I don’t know something like that

Can some one please give me an easy explanation?
Old 09-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Novanutcase
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question about stereo

Funny you should ask! My '03 came without amps but they left the stereo, front and back speakers! What do I need to put it back to stock? Anyone?

John
Old 09-28-2007, 11:43 PM
swooshonln
3rd Gear Member

ill sell u my stock 460 amps from my 99 if you can confirm I dont need them w/ an aftermarket head unit
Old 09-29-2007, 04:51 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If you really don't want all this stuff your probably going to have to swap everything over from a stock car. From what I have seen/heard the stereo is pretty much just either all stock or all aftermarket.

on the plus side, you can almost definatly find someone that is willing to trade you... probalby even locally. If anyone is interested in stereos at all they would be crazy not to trade you straight up for it....
Old 09-29-2007, 12:22 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

well ill make it short id have to look at it.

pop your trunk, do you see an amp rack right below the back speakers? not all come with mach systems...my buddys 00gt doesnt have one.

if you want to take all that ou tand sell it you can make it work reguardless if it has the mach system or not. it may be a pain in the *** having to rewire everything but you can make it work. now, if your not wanting all that audio stuff in there (WHY WOULDNT YOU!?!?) then i would do this:

buy a very cheap (80-100$) deck on ebay, replace the flip out dvd screen with that and sell the dvd screen. sell the sub(s) and sell the amp(s) for the sub(s). keep the amp for the speakers if there is one.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:03 PM
gee
1st Gear Member

some people take the easy way outwhen they buy an aftermarket head unit, by buying a wire kit specific for your car. It will plug in to the factory harness in the back then wired into the aftermarket head unit. Hopefully for your sake they bought one if you want to go back to factory. There is no reason why they would have rewired all the speaker wires in the doors and rear deck, most people will use the head unit to power the highs and midsunless it is a multi amp system, even then they sould have not rewired themThe amp in the back is more than likely for the sub in the trunk so you will find a composite video cable (RCA) from the head unit to the amp in the back,and of course some
power wire, So if it was installed correctlly it should not be that hard to reinstall the factory head unit. No if you want to trade Ive got a 03 mach unit....let me know
Old 09-29-2007, 04:44 PM
ArrestMeRed02

if the radio has been replaced by a audio store or somewhere like circuit city or best buy, then 9 times out of 10 they will do an amp bypass which reruns the speaker wire from the amp to go directly from your radio to your door speakers, therefore making the amp useless. as for your radio: some people use smart harnesses for radio installation which instead of splicing, it replaces the plug that comes in the back of an aftermarket radio and has another plug on the other end that plugs directly into your factory harness. However, very few people use smartharnesses and just splice and cut the wires. hope that helped...

p.s i'm interested in the flip out... price?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:43 AM
jtcstrat
2nd Gear Member

I dont know, im just not interested in the stereo thing.

My car does not have that amp thing in the decklid under the back speekers.

in the trunk there is a custom mad box for the mustang with 2 8" L7's one mono amp and 1 4 channel amp..all built in.

Im guessing the 4 chan is for the speekers, means it was re-wired?

Shoot me offers on the system. And the more help with returning my car back to stock, or just putting in a normal system..then i might sell it cheeper
Old 10-09-2007, 07:53 AM
jtcstrat
2nd Gear Member

I really grew outta the stereo thing. my car is too damn loud to hear it any ways. i wasnt going to not buy this car because it had an aftermarket radio tho.

I guess i want to know what i need to do to return it to stock or close to stock..
My #1 goal would be to have the stock 02 in dash cd changer radio they came with and no subs.. but i dont feel like getting the whole car re-wired. To much money.

Would it be easier/cost effective to :
Sell the in dash get a more simple after market radio?
Go back to all stock?
Any other?

I want to not spend any more money, i want to break even or at least make some money on the deal..

So shoot me offers, suggestions, or any comments
Old 10-09-2007, 08:10 AM
jtcstrat
2nd Gear Member

I would like an alpine aftermarket if i have to go aftermarket

Quick Reply: Question about stereo