4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Battery Light Turns On Intermittenly, Car Dies

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 01:04 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Default Battery Light Turns On Intermittenly, Car Dies

Hey guys, help me out here, please.
02 GT Vert has battery light coming on intermittenly. This has been happening for about 2 months or so and has gotten worse lately.

Initially, the battery light would flicker when under heavy acceleration... it would start in the mid-high RPM range and turn back off after RPMs fell back down. Sometimes it would turn on, I could give the car some gas and a little rev and it would go away.

Now, the car is completely losing power while driving. The battery light turns on, and about 2-5 minutes later the battery is completely drained from powering the car, everything w/o alternator charge. The ABS light lights up (from the system not having power, i assume), the brake light lights up, everything dies.

I took the car to Autozone for a charging system test. The guy told me the battery and alternator were working properly. As I left, the battery light kept turning on and off for the rest of the night.

Sometimes turning off the engine completely and restarting will cause the light to turn back off.

My initial conclusion is a wiring problem under the hood somewhere.

My question: Where are some common electrical problems located under the hood? Where are the ground points from the alternator to the chassis in a 2002 GT?

Thanks guys, please give me your suggestions and ideas.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:29 PM
rmtaylor78
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Battery Light Turns On Intermittenly, Car Dies

has your car ever been in an accident?
Old 09-29-2007, 03:35 PM
salcido16
1st Gear Member

i had the same problem...for me it was the alternator...youll be driving and all of a sudden the battery light turns on...and also your abs light turns on....
Old 09-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Nelson21
1st Gear Member

Even though it checked out ok it really sounds like your altenator is about to take a dive., if your not careful you could lose power completely while driving. Losing power steering etc etc, not a fun thing.to recover from.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:40 PM
C6 VETTE
5th Gear Member

Something could be wrong with the regulater...Since you have a GT, you should have a voltage gauge...The needle should be around 13volts andit should'ntrise or fall under acceleration and deceleration. If it does, then it's time to swap alternaters...

Another thing is do you have any accessaries? Such as a monster car stereo?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:36 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: salcido16

i had the same problem...for me it was the alternator...youll be driving and all of a sudden the battery light turns on...and also your abs light turns on....
+1, this happened to me as well. Ended up the alt was shorting out internally, on the wire post acutally. i dammed near burned a hole in my intake manifold.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:26 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

As I was on my way home it happened again.... Ran for about two minutes and then went to ****.
2000GT4.6, you say the shorting was internal?

Anybody know where I can get a cheap alternator? Anyone know of an install guide?

****ze. This sucks. Any other ideas??? Everyone is pretty sure its the alternator?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 PM
racemyski
1st Gear Member

Yes, car has been in an accident. Only cosmetic damage on the front end... just a light fender bender.

Yes, two amplifiers on 4 guage wire with a capacitor on the amp line.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:55 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

I had the same problem....DON'T BUY A NEW ALTERNATOR JUST YET!!!

Diagnosis: Run the car at idle, pop the hood, check the voltage at the plug on the alternator...the one with the black rubber cap on it. It should read 14+v. If it reads ANYTHING less than 13v, it's DEFINATELY your alternator. More than likely, you burnt out your Voltage regulator, which is internal on our alternators.

Treatment: I took mine to an alternator/starter shop, they took it apart, replaced the voltage reg. for like $100, gave me a warranty, and I took it home, put it in the car and let it run. No light, and I was a happy camper.

Don't go buy a new ALT. It's much cheaper to get a new VR and be off. You'll probably need a new battery too, because a bad VR can suck up the life of your batt pretty quickly.

I'm almost 99% sure thats the problem you have. I've done quite a bit of research on this matter...PM me if you have any questions.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:09 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Get a new alternator. Sounds like your voltage regulator is acting up. Sometimes it charges and then sometimes it doesn't!

Quick Reply: Battery Light Turns On Intermittenly, Car Dies