4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Battery and charging problem!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:16 PM
deesgt
2nd Gear Member

Default Battery and charging problem!

Back in Sept. i bought a brand new Duralast Gold battery from Autozone. Ran me $75. I've been driving my Stang with no problem. Through the coldest of winter mornings it started right up. Last week my wife got a minivan so I put the Stang in the garage and was driving our Ford Focus cuz it's better on gas. This past Wed. I go into the garage to drive the Stang (after 6 days of not driving it and it won't start. I jump it...starts right up. Next day...wont start. No biggie, I know I'll have to jump it. Go out today to jump it...get the cables on the Focus, hook the cables up to the stang and the cables literally start to melt [][][]! and there is some smoke coming right off the top of my alternator!!! ****** all the cables off (burn my hand) and they are destroyed! So I borrow my buddies cables and this time use my wife's van like I did Wed. Same result but I took the cables off before they could be ruined. I just took the battery out and took it back to Autozone...they hooked it up and said I have to come back in an hour when it charges up. If it does'nt hold a charge they will give me a new one. WTF is up with my car. If the battery holds a charge OR I get a new one and bring it home and put it in and my car won't start...I'm out of answers. Anyone?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:34 PM
deesgt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Battery and charging problem!

Just picked the battery up from AutoZone. It held the charge just fine they said. Got home and put it in the car and.....NOTHING. Not a peep from the car. No dome light...no door locks, horn, nothing. It's like there's not even a battery in the car. Tried the jump again and nothing. Not a peep. Not a damn peep.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:16 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Sounds like a bad alternator. You may wanna check all your wires running from the battery to the starter and the ground and make sure nothing is rubbed bare and touching something it shouldnt be rubbing.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:18 PM
deesgt
2nd Gear Member

I was just reading the Chilton's manual and it said if the battery shorts it could damage the alternator. But would that stop ALL power from going to the car? I don't even get dome lights now...WITH the car being jumped by another car. Man I pray it's only the alternator.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:39 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

The car will still operate on what power is left in the battery. But once the battery is gone then you will have no power. Take the alternator off and have it tested for free at Autozone. I would say thats your problem.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:41 PM
deesgt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man. Cuz I'm out of answers right now. I'm just amazed how I don't have any lights or nothin...even with the other car's battery supplying juice. It's good this is not my everyday car, though. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:43 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

No problem.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

well if your battery is charged you should still be able to get lights or any source of power. If you dont i wouldnt just point the finger at the alternator. Sounds like a ground fault or a cable. Make sure your cables off your battery is in good shape and they are not coorded on the terminals, clean with sand paper if needed. Also check for blown fuses if it was a ground fault. I made it a few blocks driving my old car with no alternator. just have to charge the battery every few blocks and dont use stereo, turn signals etc. lol.

Frayed cable grounding out would be my guess. Other wise why would the jumper cables smoke?
Old 02-21-2005, 12:21 AM
yellowstang98
3rd Gear Member

should have spent 15 bucks more and bought an optima
Old 02-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Sounds to me like you fried the alternator by hooking the cable up backwards. In other words, you put the ground cable on the positive side and the positive cable on the ground side. As mentioned, take the alternator out and have it checked. You may as well replace the voltage regulator at the same time.