4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what risk's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what risk's?

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ORIGINAL: 99 GT vert

i will admit it i have done the same thing when i first put my cat back on i went to put it in neutral and i went to reverse at about 20 and my tranny is still fine but i learned the i have to look when i go to put it in neutral
everyone has done stupid **** before, and believe me ive done my fair share. and ive seen what can happen when that 1 time it goes terribly wrong. our point is yes.. you did 1 stupid thing and got away with it just as we did.. learn from it and dont do it again. though ive never put it in reverse while going forward before.
o i learned and it scared the **** out of me i thought i ****ed up my tranny
Old 10-05-2007, 01:04 PM
bt1288
3rd Gear Member

When I was younger, I had a 1970 Torino 500 that had an auto with a 302. I had a tach, so I did alot of manual shifting.(Column shift)
One time, going from 2nd to 3rd, I went past N, and into reverse at about50-60 mph for about 1 second, until I pulled it back down into 3rd.
It didn't do any damage but the tires squealed and the car shuddered. Scarred the s#*t out of me.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MU71L4710N

umm if i remember right you have to have your foot touching the brake atleast enuff to have the brake lights on in order to get the car into reverse so im guessing were not hearing the whole story to this (unless he was braking while trying to rev)

reguardless...i dont know ALL the risks...but somethings gonna break doing that. if it dont sound good...something isnt liking it. wheather its the tranny, the drivetrain, i dont know but somethings gonna give out if u do that enuff.
The OP's buddy was pullin into a driveway from a higher speed of which I would assume he was slowing down and had his foot on the brake.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:23 PM
jon_0_3

most newer cars have a safty where if u put the car in reverse from nutral it will over ride and nothing will hapen. what happens tho in an auto trans the gears will be going one way (forward) and as soon as it goe into reverse the gears inside will change up the some of the forward gears will no longer be ingadge but the big gear (sun gear) its the one that makes the car run will grab the revers gears and that will mess some stuff up if doen enough times
Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 PM
BigRed03GT
2nd Gear Member

on top of all the crap i just gave you and your buddy.. reving your engine in neutral = SPUN ROD BEARING... if that happens plan on a new motor.
really? i never knew that reving ur car in neutral is bad and a potential danger. i know people who's been doin that for years.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BigRed03GT

on top of all the crap i just gave you and your buddy.. reving your engine in neutral = SPUN ROD BEARING... if that happens plan on a new motor.
really? i never knew that reving ur car in neutral is bad and a potential danger. i know people who's been doin that for years.
youre putting un-needed force on your motor that isnt being transferred to the wheels.. so youre wearing down your motor unnecessarily and all that force your motor is transferring to whereever, has to go somewhere so even if its not a rod bearing you lose, something will go by by . a 3-3500 maybe4000 rpm rev wont do anything but if hes taking that up to redline.. it is a time bomb.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:08 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

as long as you have oil pressure and your motor isnt overheating and your not bouncing off the rev limiter there is nothing wrong with revving your motor. that is absolutley the most rediculous thing i have ever heard.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:21 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: livefast1

as long as you have oil pressure and your motor isnt overheating and your not bouncing off the rev limiter there is nothing wrong with revving your motor. that is absolutley the most rediculous thing i have ever heard.
youre right its ridiculous.. like when you over-rev by missing a gear and spin a bearing. the reason you rev up higher in neutral and faster, is there is no load for the energy to be transferred on (the tires) so where do you think it goes? you think it magically disappears into your exhaust pipe or your ego? think about it. And once again, it depends on how high you take it.

And for the record.. the most ridiculous thing ive heard is the gains from an electric supercharger.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:24 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

hes jus talking about piping somebody, completely different from missing a gear and over revving your motor. and if you are truely in nuetral or at a dead stop its almost impossible to over rev your motor, hence the invention of the rev limiter. but all arguments aside yes electric superchargers are ridiculous.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:18 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: livefast1

youre right its ridiculous.. like when you over-rev by missing a gear and spin a bearing. the reason you rev up higher in neutral and faster, is there is no load for the energy to be transferred on (the tires) so where do you think it goes? you think it magically disappears into your exhaust pipe or your ego? think about it. And once again, it depends on how high you take it.

And for the record.. the most ridiculous thing ive heard is the gains from an electric supercharger.
WTF?? You can sit in your car... put your foot on the gas and rev it up to just below the redline for a solid WEEK and NOTHING will break! Exactley what is the difference to the motor at 4k RPM's under stress to 4k RPM's not under stress? Wait.. dont answer... NOTHING! Same stress on the motor! RPM's under strain do the same as RPM's not under strain!

Quick Reply: what risk's?