4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what risk's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:10 AM
BigRed03GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what risk's?

yea, everyone and their mothers rev their cars, and motorcycle dudes rev their bikes too, and i doubt if sumthin breaks from doin this. revin is fun, especially when u just got ur new exhaust installed. if revin was bad for ur engine there would b a warning sign on every aftermarket exhaust u buy that would say "Do not rev after install, and if u want to check for exhaust leaks just hope u don't have any"
Old 10-06-2007, 11:26 AM
MrChubs1
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SmallFeesh

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ORIGINAL: livefast1

as long as you have oil pressure and your motor isnt overheating and your not bouncing off the rev limiter there is nothing wrong with revving your motor. that is absolutley the most rediculous thing i have ever heard.
youre right its ridiculous.. like when you over-rev by missing a gear and spin a bearing. the reason you rev up higher in neutral and faster, is there is no load for the energy to be transferred on (the tires) so where do you think it goes? you think it magically disappears into your exhaust pipe or your ego? think about it. And once again, it depends on how high you take it.

And for the record.. the most ridiculous thing ive heard is the gains from an electric supercharger.
WTF?? You can sit in your car... put your foot on the gas and rev it up to just below the redline for a solid WEEK and NOTHING will break! Exactley what is the difference to the motor at 4k RPM's under stress to 4k RPM's not under stress? Wait.. dont answer... NOTHING! Same stress on the motor! RPM's under strain do the same as RPM's not under strain!
Load actually has ALOT to do with it. I've always heard and read that revving without a load is terrible for your engine, but I can't claim to fully understand why.

Load makes a difference in other situations though. Negative loading (decelerating using the engine) puts extra force on the rod bolts and caps that they don't normally see. Since this is the weakest part of the rod, you can damage them from excessive negative load. This is one of the reasons why upgraded rod bolts are important in a race engine. It's not that difficult to snap factory rod bolts if you beat on the car hard enough and long enough.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:07 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

I dont understand how a motor that is pushing 3000 pounds is less likely to break than a motor free revving. the only time ive seen a motor break free revving was a bike a guy was purposely trying to blow pin the throttle and bounced the rev limiter a 13 grand for 5 minutes.