4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Screen on Maf sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 AM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

Default Screen on Maf sensor???

i no this question has probably been discussed hundreds of times here but i just received my K&N FIPK intake and the instructions said to take screen off of the maf sensor, but friends of mine said to leave it on. is there any advantages, disadvantages to taking it off??????
Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Screen on Maf sensor???

just take it off, you'll b fine.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

Whats the actual purpose of the screen
Old 10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Hey man let me know if you feel a difference with that intake. I bought mine the same day i bought the car, so i only drove the car for a day with the stock intake. I would like to know if it made a difference or not. SUPPOSEDLY with the included dyno sheet, that thing adds 10 hp...... supposedly.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:15 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's to straighten the air flow in to the MAF, you may experience a lumpy idle and/or surging at low engine speeds/loads with it reemoved and using some intake configurations. [/align][/align]My '03 GT had a el-cheapo eBay MAF adapter, cone filter, and no screenwhen I got it--and had the lumpy idle and very noticable surging in 4th and 5th when cruising at lower engine speeds. However with the OEM airbox and no screen there is no surging problem and just a hint of rough idle--with the screeen in (I keep it out) the idle smooths...[/align]
Old 10-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blkthndr03

To straighten the flow of air over the sensor element.
You can remove the screen BUT listen for signs of detonation.This is one way removingthe screen increases power,it leans the mixture out a little.Most Mustangs come from the factory with a slightly rich mixture to give the engine some leeway in regards to poor fuel quality and other variables that can combine to cause detonation.
If you remove the screen and need to replace it for some reason,be sure to orient the screen so the wires run perpendicular to the element.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 AM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

ya ive seen an episode of horsepower tv where they took the screen out and it produced an increase of 13hp in the low rpm range but leaned out and saw a drop in hp at w.o.t. also i think that the use of a tuner may solve they issue of the engine leaning out.
and yay 6mustang6 ill let you know if i feel a difference.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 PM
blkthndr03
2nd Gear Member

installed fipk awesome sound and noticeable power gains no adverse affects with taking the screen out thanks guys
Old 10-13-2007, 02:04 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

To straighten the flow of air over the sensor element.
You can remove the screen BUT listen for signs of detonation.This is one way removingthe screen increases power,it leans the mixture out a little.Most Mustangs come from the factory with a slightly rich mixture to give the engine some leeway in regards to poor fuel quality and other variables that can combine to cause detonation.
If you remove the screen and need to replace it for some reason,be sure to orient the screen so the wires run perpendicular to the element.
absolutly zero chance that removing the MAF screen is going to lean the mixture out enough to acutally cause detonation. You would be lucky to even be able to detect the difference on a dyno, let alone lean it out enough to cause a dangerous situation.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:05 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ya ive seen an episode of horsepower tv where they took the screen out and it produced an increase of 13hp in the low rpm range but leaned out and saw a drop in hp at w.o.t. also i think that the use of a tuner may solve they issue of the engine leaning out.
and yay 6mustang6 ill let you know if i feel a difference.
removing the maf screen MIGHT be worth 1 horsepower if your lucky and have your fingers crossed while holding a 17 leaf clover beetween your buttcheeks.... maybe.

Quick Reply: Screen on Maf sensor???