4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Two problems....help

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:03 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Default Two problems....help

first problem is that sometimes when i get in boost my gauges on my dash flash from dim to bright back and forth until i let off the gas....my battery meter reads high so any suggestions?

secondi have an extremely bad shake/vibration on medium to hard braking! im thinkin its a warped rotor.....it doesnt shake unless im braking and it gets worse the faster im moving.....
Old 10-13-2007, 03:03 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Two problems....help

The EXACT same problem happened to me, it was a bad voltage regulartor in the alternator.

I took it to that advanced auto parts had them put it in the little charger dyno thing and it said PASS across the board. So... being as stubborn as I am, I had them swap it out anyways and when I installed the new alternator the problem was MAGICALLY fixed!

As for your that vibration one of your tires may be out of balanced, problems with alignment and balance tend to show up more on braking than accelerating. The only reason I think it may be the tires is because actually takes quite bit to warp a rotor badly enough to notice.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:45 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

stock mustang rotors are easy to warp, do a 140MPH and just gently touch the brakes, mine warped, 3rd week I had it. I got the cheapo cross drilled and slotted rotors off ebay, seem to be holding up just fine.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:01 PM
mariotraci
2nd Gear Member

warped rotora

my lights do the same thing when im reving it up & on the gas
Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

aight so tomorrow ima throw my car ona lift and check out the rotors.....
how do i tell if the rotors warped?
is it real obvious or would i need a dial indicator to show the problem area?
and how strong are the drilled and slotted rotors compared to the standard rotors?
Old 10-13-2007, 11:04 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

first problem is that sometimes when i get in boost my gauges on my dash flash from dim to bright back and forth until i let off the gas....my battery meter reads high so any suggestions?

secondi have an extremely bad shake/vibration on medium to hard braking! im thinkin its a warped rotor.....it doesnt shake unless im braking and it gets worse the faster im moving.....
On the gauges it almost sounds like you have an intermitant short. Does the interior light and/or headlights dim at the same time?

On the vibration, if its only in braking it is almost certianly your rotors.Its gonna be hard to tell/see they are warped, you basically just haveto trust that they are. If its only when braking, and it gets worse with more MPH, its almost certianly (99.99) the rotors. Time for a bullitt/cobra 13 inch upgrade!

Edit; It could be the voltage reg as well, I would look into a new alternator before getting crazy on searching for everything. mine went out right after I got the blower... the added belt tension because of the blower tends to screw em up.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:37 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

On the gauges it almost sounds like you have an intermitant short. Does the interior light and/or headlights dim at the same time?

On the vibration, if its only in braking it is almost certianly your rotors.Its gonna be hard to tell/see they are warped, you basically just haveto trust that they are. If its only when braking, and it gets worse with more MPH, its almost certianly (99.99) the rotors. Time for a bullitt/cobra 13 inch upgrade!

Edit; It could be the voltage reg as well, I would look into a new alternator before getting crazy on searching for everything. mine went out right after I got the blower... the added belt tension because of the blower tends to screw em up.

with the money that im saving for my motor i dont have a whole lot extra money to spend, so i think im just gonna do the standard replacement, and just live with it for a while! i think all the runnin on the track and interstate racing with the following hard braking after both just killed my rotors over the last year.....

as far as the dimming goes....it only happens when i hit boost...how odd is that. i dont think its hurting anything, it just bugged me a little bit.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:44 PM
defconfire
5th Gear Member

Before you you get OEM's check partstrain.com , they have really competitive prices and they ship amaizingly fast. I am sure you could find some off brand ,at least, slotted rotors like "BUBBA BRAND BRAKES" or something of that nature for like 20 bucks.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:28 AM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

ebay has 4 cross drilled and slotted rotors, for 100 bux(front and rear). I got them off there last March. They have worked flawlessly so far. If your rotors are uber warped, you can tell, or you can run your hand around the finish will they spin and you should tell.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:50 AM
SmallFeesh
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: defconfire

As for your that vibration one of your tires may be out of balanced, problems with alignment and balance tend to show up more on braking than accelerating. The only reason I think it may be the tires is because actually takes quite bit to warp a rotor badly enough to notice.
alignment and balance show up more when NOT braking... IE: they show up more under high speeds and LESS when braking! out of balance 101... oh... and out of alignment will NEVER.... EVER.... in this lifetime or the next make ANYTHING shake!!! WTF??? The problem is MOST likely a warped rotor! now this does NOT mean you need a new rotor!!! It is still entirely possibly the prolem can be fixed by having them turned! Rotor training 101 completed! (no dissrespect to the og poster... just to those that responded that didnt throw in they might just need to be turned!)