4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Scary moment! need major help. engine may be gone

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:18 PM
Epinephrine186
2nd Gear Member

Default Scary moment! need major help. engine may be gone

well i was headed out to airport blvd friday night to go cruise around and i was on the interstate. ( i had not gotten on the car at all the entire day and never did the entire night, to me this is why its so weird.) i was goin down the interstate and was getting off the interstate onto airport and pushed clutch in and car died, similar to wat the idle air control did. ok well car coasted to stop and would not crank. well i tried cranking and it wouldnt turn over seemed like battery had died. and my lights died. i got out of car and closed door and lights came back on. tried cranking car and wouldnt crank. well i popped the hood and my freind started messin wit battery terminal and it finaly cranked. well i started heading down airport and a little bit of steam started coming out of the engine. so i pulled over and looked at it and the intake manifold cracked again, and had a little dribble coming out from the bottom side of it this time. well i decided to head home. i was getting onto the interstate and tried to give it a little gas and nothing really happened. rpm's didnt go up at all really and neither did my speed. well i got into interstate and it took forever to get up to speed. so i put on my flashers and was goin to attempt to limp home. well i got up to about 50 and white smoke starts pouring out from under the car. i immediatly pulled over and called tow truck. got back to my house and had no oil in engine and no water in my radiator. i go under my car and had water slung from transmission, all over driveshaft ,all over exhaust and specs on my back bumper. my buddy got under car and removed my oil filter to see if there was metal chunks in my oil. there was none. but only about half of a cup of oil left. well i was pissed and said **** it for that night. next day i put oil in my car and filled radiator back up with water and crunk the car. (mechanic told me to) i didnt see oil coming out from under car, but i noticed water spewing from my intake manifold from underneath it. car was a little rough holding idle, but i expected that with car sitting up overnight with no oil and starting it cold. but there was no knocking or anything. could it be possible that the car just overheated and for some reason dumped the oil? while driving when i lost all my oil the oil pressure never dropped. any advice would be appreciated. i have typhoon intake manifold coming in the mail. i figured i would just go from their.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:43 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Scary moment! need major help. engine may be gone

That's frggen weird man. I got nothing. I'd just tell you to put the intake back on it and try it again. Was your drain plug loose? Where did the oil come from? Was there oil all over the block, pan, filter? If you ran out of oil, where did it go?
Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Epinephrine186
2nd Gear Member

i dont kno where it went. imma get up under their tommarow and find out. didnt have jack wit me the day after it happened. but i got under the car the best i could but didnt notice anything. hell the oil filter couldve came off, but i didnt think to check it when i took it off. its all underneath my car. none ontop of engine.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM
abmtex2007

uh i am lost for words... Piston ring? dont know

Old 10-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Epinephrine186
2nd Gear Member

ya everyone i talked to is too. what pisses me off is noone beleives that i wasnt on it. i hadnt been on it all night. i would admit if i was if it would better diagnose the problem but i wasnt!!!! anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I REALLY dont want to be a preacher, but if you're car's steaming, and you think it might be an overheating issue......

But, that aside. Definately find out where that oil is going man. Don't just give up and think it was a fluke until you know for sure.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Are you sure your oil was full before you left that night? If there was a cup full of oil in the filter then that's right. How much oil did it take to top it off? When you started the car the next day was there steam coming out of the exhaust? Could be a blown head gasket or a broken ring.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 PM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

What color was your coolant? If you severley blew a head gasket you could have oil draining into your coolant and then when it overheated, they both mixed and left the car...

The lights and battery stuff is really irrelevant. It almost seems like you had a few bad things happen at once...did your batt. light ever come on? If the intake cracked, it could have spewed coolant onto the alternator, and water on the alt. is never a good thing. It can short out right away sometimes.

Other than that,I agree with the above post. There shouldn't be too much oil in the filter. But then if the pressure was correct, that confuses me too........bad gauge reading? I dunno man...weird shytt happened that night...maybe somebody died on that exit and you passed through his ghost...and now he's just messin with ya. [8D]
Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Epinephrine186
2nd Gear Member

there was oil in it a few days before. it wasnt low then. no steam out of exhaust. never was anything out exhaust to my knowledge all the smoke came from under hood and under car.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:23 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

As an FYI, that oil pressure gauge (stock one) will show 60% till you're below 9psi which is WAY WAY too low for any sort of RPM above idle. Anything above 9psi and it will read 60%. You should have heard it knocking around without oil. I'll ask the same thing cobrastang did, what color is the coolant? If it's dark/brown then the oil is mixing with the coolant and you've got a problem...

Quick Reply: Scary moment! need major help. engine may be gone