4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Holy crap my GT's clutch sucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:54 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Default Holy crap my GT's clutch sucks

So I drove my GT for the first time in a week since I got my Cobra since it was raining today, and holy crap, It's ridiculous how much different the clutches are. The Cobra is stiff and engages very quickly, the GT's clutch feels like it goes a mile and takes a mile to come out. I was trying to get out of the parking lot and I was wondering what the hell was going on when I revved and nothing happened, then I realized I still had at least a good inch or two more to let the clutch out before it engaged.

Do you think replacing the clutch in my GT would make this better? I am still relatively new to manual transmissions and don't completely how they work, so I don't know if replacing the clutch would give me a good stiff and short feel like my Cobra or if that's just how that transmission always will be. At this point it's worth replacing even if it's not necessary because if I'm going to drive both it's going to be a pain in the *** to be used to both clutches.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:25 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Holy crap my GT's clutch sucks

You should get a quadrant adjuster, that way you can set your engagement point.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:28 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Yeah man, don't replace that clutch. It's like riding a bike, you'll remember real quick how to drive your GT. And I bet when you got back into your Cobra it surprised the crap out of you didn't it? I would just keep the GT clutch in there and you'll get used to it.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:43 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

Yeah man, don't replace that clutch. It's like riding a bike, you'll remember real quick how to drive your GT. And I bet when you got back into your Cobra it surprised the crap out of you didn't it? I would just keep the GT clutch in there and you'll get used to it.
Well, I have no doubt that I could get used to it, but it just sucks too. I don't even know if it's something that a quadrant adjuster or even a new clutch would change. The GT just has at least double if not triple the travel in the clutch pedal as the Cobra. The Cobra feels nice and solid, just would like that feel on the GT as well. Maybe I'm spoiled now?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:46 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

So I take it the 97 is your daily driver now?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:50 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

So I take it the 97 is your daily driver now?
Yeah, for now at least. I don't know if I'm going to keep it around or sell it for something with good gas mileage. The latter is probably the most intelligent, but I don't know if I'd get enough out of it to really make it worth it. I'm thinking it over for a month or two.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Epinephrine186
2nd Gear Member

ya the in my gt the stock clutch took forever to engage!!!! but i went zoom stage 3 and and now its stiff and engages quickly. to me its the best thing ive done to my car. i felt a stock gt clutch the other day and omg its a worlds difference!
Old 10-18-2007, 10:44 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

I put in the Ford Racing King Cobra clutch kit. Its so nice in my opinion, nice and stiff and it grabs at about the halfway point of the travel.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:23 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

I'm telling you man, leave it in there. You're looking at $500 or so to replace something that isn't broken. You have your toy now (the Terminator) and your GT has, oddly, become your pratical car. I'm thinking you should just keep it in there as it was good enough for you before you got the Cobra. And yeah, maybe you are a bit spoiled now
Old 10-19-2007, 07:38 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Yeah yeah, I suppose you're right. I'll just get used to it. I figure after swapping between the two a couple of times, I'll be able to pick up either clutch pretty quick. It was just a surprise to me this time.

Quick Reply: Holy crap my GT's clutch sucks