4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to uninstall and reinstall timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:54 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Default How to uninstall and reinstall timing chain?

My buddy and i have to take off the timing chain and and manually cranking the engine, etc, all that good stuff. Does anyone have a real detailed walkthrough on how to do it? Like, complete start to finish. From when the cover comes off till when it goes back on.

Pics would help too, thanks. We just wanna make absolutely sure we do everything right.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:17 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How to uninstall and reinstall timing chain?

check the how to bulid an engine thread at the top. theres some links in there. Its actually not
Old 10-22-2007, 06:24 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

yeah i did, it really didnt go into much detail involving the crank and cam and cylinder placement.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:05 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Well you want the crank at 9 oclock to put all the pistons below deck. Compress the tensioner piston by turning it back and forth while pushing down. Slide a unfolded paper clip in the oil hole to lock it Install the guides and tensioners. Fold each chain in half and mark off the links exactly opposite of each other. Install the rear chain first by putting each of those marks at the timing marks of the cam and crank gears (ONLY TURN THE CAM GEAR IF NECESSARY) After that release the pressure on the tensioner by pulling the paper clip out. Install the second chain(front) same as the first. After that slowly turn the motor over by hand to make sure there are no piston to valve problems. Might as well install some cams in there while your there. VT's wont require any degreeing but comps and crower do. That should pretty much cover it i think. any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM
Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

Heres a thread. I typed it out step by step.

https://mustangforums.com/m_3922264/tm.htm
Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

thanks a ton to both of you guys, thats what i was looking for!
Old 10-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

No problem, if you have questions while you're doing it ask. Just be sure to take your time andget the cam timing right the first time. You don't want to have to tear it apart and do it all over again. Its acutally not that bad of a job. You can do it with the motor in the car in a morning/afternoon.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4.698GT

Well you want the crank at 9 oclock to put all the pistons below deck. Compress the tensioner piston by turning it back and forth while pushing down. Slide a unfolded paper clip in the oil hole to lock it Install the guides and tensioners. Fold each chain in half and mark off the links exactly opposite of each other. Install the rear chain first by putting each of those marks at the timing marks of the cam and crank gears (ONLY TURN THE CAM GEAR IF NECESSARY) After that release the pressure on the tensioner by pulling the paper clip out. Install the second chain(front) same as the first. After that slowly turn the motor over by hand to make sure there are no piston to valve problems. Might as well install some cams in there while your there. VT's wont require any degreeing but comps and crower do. That should pretty much cover it i think. any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM
Thats wrong you want the crank at 12 oclock which is safe mode for the engine since all the pistons are below deck.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:42 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

hmm, theres a big difference between 9 and 12 o clock... like, 3 hours.

which one is it?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:00 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

It is 12 oclock. Trust me I build these engines for fun. Put the crank at 12 line the mark on the chain with the mark on the crank sproket then spin the cam to get the marks to line up on the chain and cam sproket. Then just install the guides and tentioners. Hell you dont even need to compress the tentioners just push them in place and put the bolts in. Its easy. Look at the how to build your own engine again there are pictures for step by step of setting up the timing. The taking it apart **** is easy I could give my wife a tollbox and she would have it taken apart in a few hours.

Quick Reply: How to uninstall and reinstall timing chain?