4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5.4L info needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:27 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default 5.4L info needed

Anybody know how much you can bore and stroke a 5.4L? Where can I find a forged internals kit for it? I don't want a prebuilt block because that is a waste of money I just want to know where to fine the internals.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:34 PM
dtkikols
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 5.4L info needed

i know vt carries 5.4 internals....
Old 10-23-2007, 01:56 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

VT does not have what I'm looking for. They just have stock forged kits no stroker kits. Anybody else?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:41 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I know you can wet sleeve the block out to a 5.8 with stock stroke but not so sure on forged stroker kits. I would be careful going to much further with the stroke on a 5.4 unless you are making a dedicated stump puller.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Well I am building a 4v 5.4 for a twin turbo set up so I dont need high rpms so stroking it wont be much danger. I havent completly decided on stroking it but I will for sure bore it out. I am waiting to hear back from the company I orderd my forged kit from last time to see what they suggest and go from there. I think you can only wet sleeve an aluminum block and that is very pricey.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:04 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Well I am building a 4v 5.4 for a twin turbo set up so I dont need high rpms so stroking it wont be much danger. I havent completly decided on stroking it but I will for sure bore it out. I am waiting to hear back from the company I orderd my forged kit from last time to see what they suggest and go from there. I think you can only wet sleeve an aluminum block and that is very pricey.
I thought that too but then I found this. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...;highlight=5.4

I don't think it's worth the money but it proves it can be done.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:21 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

The highest I have seen is a 351 in a turbo L. Thing made tons of power but didn't rev super high obviously. There are a bunch of guys on SVTp with L's that have built motors. I would try calling Amazon in NC they are one of the biggest L tuners/builders around so I would assume they know quite a bit about the 5.4.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:04 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

I thought that too but then I found this. http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...;highlight=5.4

WOW thats what i want. Now I will have to talk to my local machine shop when i get home for leave and see if they can make that.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:19 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

WOW thats what i want. Now I will have to talk to my local machine shop when i get home for leave and see if they can make that.
Yeah it would definitely be a good start to a fun project.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:04 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

How are all these people putting 5.4's in their cars? Are you boring out your stock 4.6's? Is there another engine for mustangs I don't know about? I didn't know this was so widely used. What kind of numbers are being achieved with that setup?

Quick Reply: 5.4L info needed