4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which Cams should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM
TruBlu03GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Which Cams should I get?

I want to get some cams without giving up my daily driver. I have a full bolt on 2000 Gt, with 410's and also a Typhoon intake manifold. I've been looking at Comp Cams and VT cams. Im not sure if I should get the stage 1's or the stage 2's. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Which Cams should I get?

Stage I's are the best for a DD- Stage II's cannot be properly used on a street mod- it raises your usable powerband to above 6000, so if you can't rev that high you are wasting power.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:56 PM
redbullitt
2nd Gear Member

Vt stage ones NAare very good cams. I ran them for a long time without a tune. Didnt lose my low end and it really helped up top. They sounded good at idle too, especially if you lowered the idle a bit.I have a vt 3 blower cam in there now, and i ran it for a while NA. not fun lol. I would stick to a stage one or two for sure. You would not have to swap valve springs in a stage one cam either. That saves a lot of work.
I think i still have the 1s around here somewhere if you are interested...
Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Zanador

Stage I's are the best for a DD- Stage II's cannot be properly used on a street mod- it raises your usable powerband to above 6000, so if you can't rev that high you are wasting power.
The stage 2 cams do not make the car unstreetable. They will not pick up power over the stock cams as early, but they will still make more peak and 5500+ horsepower than a stage 1 cam.

The stage 1 and stage 2 cams are very close in spec, its not that big of a jump. You would see even bigger gains in the stage 2 if you did not have to add higher strength aftermarket springs when doing the stage 2s (they will steal some power).

The stage 2 will have a much more noticable idle as well, but once again its nothing crazy over a stage 1 cam.

I ran a stage 2 cam for over a year on a n/a 2v with otherwise stock motor. The car made 280 WHP and 292 WTQ on a absolutly horrid tune... probably would have made 285+ and 305+ on a decent tune (a/f ratio was 15.5+:1 at 2500 RPM).
Old 10-26-2007, 10:54 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

everyone has their opinions on cams and most will tell you to get what they have (if they have aftermarket cams) and so will I. So I say get a set of custom cams from Tim at MPH. Tims cams have been proven to produce more power than off the shelf cams and if streetability is a concern he can make them as streetable as you'd like. The cams will be made specifically forYOUR car with YOUR goals in mind and cost the same as off the shelf cams. I originally ordered VT cams and after playing the waiting game with them, I cancelled my order and in 2 weeks had custom cams.

Look at it like this, if you could get Corbeau, Sparco, or Momo to make a seat specifically for your body shape, fit you like a glove and come in any color or material you wanted for the same price as their off the shelf seats, which one would you buy? Why should a cam be different??
Old 10-27-2007, 12:13 AM
cammed99gt
4th Gear Member

I would go with stage 2 because u already got 4.10 gears and that would help out alot.Stage 2 cams and 4.10 is a very nice combo and u can set your rev limiter at 6500 with out any problems.But like some one else said u would have to get better springs.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:55 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

everyone has their opinions on cams and most will tell you to get what they have (if they have aftermarket cams) and so will I. So I say get a set of custom cams from Tim at MPH. Tims cams have been proven to produce more power than off the shelf cams and if streetability is a concern he can make them as streetable as you'd like. The cams will be made specifically forYOUR car with YOUR goals in mind and cost the same as off the shelf cams. I originally ordered VT cams and after playing the waiting game with them, I cancelled my order and in 2 weeks had custom cams.

Look at it like this, if you could get Corbeau, Sparco, or Momo to make a seat specifically for your body shape, fit you like a glove and come in any color or material you wanted for the same price as their off the shelf seats, which one would you buy? Why should a cam be different??
Custom grinds are awesome if you truly know where your car is going. If you have a specific plan for your car, I agree fully get a custom grind.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:08 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

VT stage 1 cams. Dont get stage 2's unless you're getting aftermarket heads and going to see a lot of track time. You'll be happy with the stage 1's
Old 10-27-2007, 03:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Assuming they are the same price I don't see any reason not to go custom. I don't think customs are going to make a big difference compared to a generic on a bolton only car, but being the same price there is no downside I can see.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Assuming they are the same price I don't see any reason not to go custom. I don't think customs are going to make a big difference compared to a generic on a bolton only car, but being the same price there is no downside I can see.
I paid $599.

Quick Reply: Which Cams should I get?